Sillcock spigot leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
The sillcock spigot leaks, outside of my house. The house is 30 years old. The sillcock has a handle at the very end. I removed the retaining screw holding on the turn off handle, then removed the packing nut. Was not sure how to remove the packing. I tried turning the assembly counter clockwise with an adjustable wrench but it seemed to be stuck so I did not force it, afraid to do any damage. How is the packing supposed to come out? Also if I replace the packing and seals inside should that take care of my leak? Many thanks in advance for your input. :)

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
Any response

Since no one has responded. Is this problem that I have really difficult or did I just do a really poor job describing it? :)

Dangler

Reaction score
I did just a bit of searching on the web, never heard of a sillcock before, but it sounds like its just a hose faucet for watering the lawn etc. None of the stuff I found though talked about fixing them, just replacing them. Several sites showed how to replace them with something called a Frost Free Sillcock which has a long pipe on it and the shutoff is actually at the end, hopefully nice and warm inside the house.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not completely sure what you are calling the assembly. Try putting on the handle and turning completely counter clockwise. Then try removing the large nut.

Paul

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
Faucet

I am talking about the outside faucet, I removed the handle and the packing nut. I assume that you can remove the packing, stem and any seals inside the faucet just as you can a faucet in your kitchen or bathroom. I am just not sur how to do it. Is this threaded in or can I grab the end with some vise grips and pull it out? It has a constant drip just like a kitchen faucet would, doesn't seem logical to me that you would have to replace the whole assembly. I saw tese referred to as a sillcock online, maybe I am trying too hard to use some technical terminology and I am saying the wrong thing and confusing the issue. Many thanks again for your responses and patience. :)

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Turn the shaft counter clockwise. Be sure you water supply to that faucet is off before you do this.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
It's turned all the way counter-clockwise and the packing still won't budge? If it's an old type sillcock (not a frost-free) you could grip the stem with vice-grips (not at the top) then gently hammer upward on the vise-grips. You might leave bite marks on the brass, though. (Not a pro)

Mikemonica

Sales Manger
Reaction score
Turn counter clockwise

When I removed the packing nut I used an adjustable wrench on the end of the stem, turned it counter clockwise and met a lot of resistance, I was afraid to use too much force because I thought I might break something. I'm not sure if it would not turn because it has been in there for 30 years and is just stuck or if it is threaded and supposed to unscrew. I have never taken one of these apart before so I am unsure of how it comes apart. Is it possible that the stem is not threaded and it should just be pulled straight out and the packing nut is what holds it all in? :)

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Leak outside

It's threaded. If it is a frostproof and you can see the packing inside the part of the valve that is anchored to the house take a nut pick and work it around till the packing comes loose. Easier said than done. Sillcxock is another name for a lawn faucet or a hose bib. All the same. If the packing nut screws out of the faucet, it probably is a frostproof faucet..If the packing nut is like unscrewing a cap try working the stem back and forth and use something to lubricate. Be patient otherwise you'll have to replace the tap. Might be quicker to replace it.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks