(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Slab & Foundation over existing gas line

Hybrid View

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Default Slab & Foundation over existing gas line

Hey all,

I have an existing 2" black iron pipe natural gas line (that has been sleeved) between my curb stop and my house (gas meter inside). <B>I'd like to build a garge over this gas line.</B> Near the house, the pipe is only 12" - 18" below grade. I do not know how deep it is near the curb stop because I've been unable to locate it. (It is probably buried).
    As far as the foundation is concerned, I am planning on putting something in the form to "take up space" around the pipe so the two can move independently. What is a good choice for this? I was thinking about wrapping the pipe with bubble wrap. Most likely the footer will be poured to grade using the existing earth as a form so I wouldn't be able to remove whatever I put in there.
    What should I do to the gas line under the slab? It will most likely not be exposed, but should it become exposed (perhaps they dig to deep for the gravel or it's buried very shallow), then what?
    I didn't call the gas company because here in Columbus I actually own the gas pipe between the curb stop and my meter. Odd, I know.

Thanks,
    Jason

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Default Gas Pipe

A lot of places the home owner owns the pipe from the curb to the house, but the local jurisdiction tells you what you can do with it, I think you should call them, sorry.

You cannot put enclosed space over underground gas pipe. I think it specifically is for living space, but I don't think you can do a garage, either. Exception is if the pipe is enclosed in a outer conduit which is sealed on the inside end and properly ventilated on the other end.

My parents just ran into this. They were going to have a well drilled and when the gas company came out to locate their lines they found the line goes under the garage that the previous owner built.

The previous owner converted the original attached garage into a family room and built a new attached garage on the side of that. The gas line runs right under the new garage. It then goes around the back and up to the meter. Only problem with that was the meter was in the middle of the concrete patio. The guy did not even sleeve the line going up to the meter.

The gas company was not too happy about all this so they told my parents they would have to run a new line from the street on the other side of their house all around back to the meter which would have to be moved to the side of the patio.

In the end the gas company ended up feeling bad for them and did all the labor free they just had to buy the materials which came out to about $400.

If the cost would have been in the thousands they would have had to go after the previous owners for not disclosing this.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

I don't know specifically about where you live but in most places you're not allowed to run a gas line under or through a foundation with a gas line. The gas line is also not allowed to be under a building.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

[INSERT EXPLICITIVES]

I'll call the gas company.

Thanks,
    Jason