Sump - Do I need drain tiles?

Users who are viewing this thread

bobtb

Reaction score
I want to install a sump system in my 40 year old house because I'm getting water in the basement. I watched the 'Ask This Old House' video about installing a sump and they mentioned since there's gravel under the floor, all they need is the sump basin and pump. They broke the concrete, dug a hole and put in the basin & pump etc.

The waterproofing contractors by me wanted to tear up the floor and install drain tiles to hook into a sump system. I plumbing friend told me I don't need the tiles as there's mostlikely 2-3" of gravel under the cement floor. I guy down the street had a sump put in and they dug up the side of his house and put in the drain tiles.

Can I just install the sump in my attached garage at the lowest corner and will it handle water from the other end of my house or do I need the drain tiles as well? The basement is finished and I can't put the sump in there. The attached garage is the same level as the rest of the house & basement. The drain tiles aren't a good option for me.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It is completely dependent on how much water there is and if it will indeed flow the direction at the require rate for the required distance. There is no way to tell for sure so it's a gamble. If a flooded basement is 70% drier with only a sump pit, does that make a good value for you? Contractors are quick to install drain tiles because only then can they be quite sure that it will work effectively.

Most water problems are much simpler than people imagine. Before you get tied into anything, first make sure that all your rain gutters are working properly and that the discharge from the downspouts is draining away from the house starting at least 10 feet from the foundation. Make sure that the grade around the foundation is sloping away at least 1/4 inch per foot.

Depending on your lay-out and soil type, you might consider french drains in your yard to reduce the amount of water making it to the foundation.

All of these are things an average homeowner can do themselves, with no heavy equipment needed.

bobtb

Reaction score
Thanks for the good thoughts!!

Just got in the French drain pipes. Don't know if they'll help in all situations especially like last December when our ground was frozen solid for a month and the 2 feet of snow suddenly and completely thawed within 2 days along with a full day of hard rain. What an aweful time it was just after Christmas. I always hoped for the thaw with rain but not that quickly especially with the ground that frozen and nowhere for the water to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks