low presure

Users who are viewing this thread

nopressure

Reaction score
new presure tank presure good for three months today presure dropped 20psi
so today i put new presure switch and presure gage to be sure that it wasn't
them still no presure gage is at 20psi switch don't kick on or off??????

PLEASE HELP!

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So are you saying,your pump runs constantly,but only produces 20 pounds pressure?What type of tank? Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
new presure tank presure good for three months today presure dropped 20psi
so today i put new presure switch and presure gage to be sure that it wasn't
them still no presure gage is at 20psi switch don't kick on or off??????
Where is your pump; in the well or not?

Is the pump running?

If so you have a serious leak or some kind of blockage, maybe the pump inlet, or the pump is bound up etc..

If the pump isn't running, are you positive you have the switch wired correctly? Is there power to the switch, check breakers or fuses and any switch. If there is power to the switch, is there power to any control box, do you have one? If not is there power at the well? If you have a control box, is there power at the well? If not you probably have a bad control box.

If you have power to the well, then check amps and then shut off the power and check ohms and conductivity of the power cable and windings in the motor.
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-43.aspx You can find ohms, amps and such on a different page there.

If you don't know how to check all that, you need to call a pump guy or well driller or only a plumber that is capable and willing to pull the pump if it is in the well.

nopressure

Reaction score
sorry been gone out of town 98 feet deep well pump in well how do i check if it is running well is 10 year old had it put in when i built the house yes the presure switch is wired right put back same as old one

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Go out to the well, remove the casing cap and lean over with your ear in the casing and listen for water movement, motor hum, spraying water, feel the casing with the tip of a screw drive for vibration, or a water line if you have one at the well, then without electrocuting yerself, feel the wires if they are warmer than air temp.

While listening etc. you should have someone shut off the power to the pump (both breakers if you have two). If the pump is running, you have a serious leak. If not running, shut off the pump power, open the power cable, turn the power on and check for voltage coming from the power source. If you have voltage the switch is working. Then shut off the power and check the ohms, conductivity and resistance of the power cable and pump motor windings, and for shorts of each wire to the metal casing. If yer adventurous, put the power cable back together and with the power on, check amps.

Here are instructions and what ohms etc. or various pages.
http://www.franklin-electric.com/business/WaterSystems/service/AIM/page-43.aspx

nopressure

Reaction score
i checked with volt meter 238 at presure swtch yes i can hear pump turn on
when my wife at braker me at well with 2-ways braker on pump on when she turns off pump gose off can hear water drain back out off line using miracle ear like on tv

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is Galv. tanks have a flapper valve down the casing a little.This lets some air into the tank"normal".If the flapper is gone water blows out here when the pump is running.But it sounds like you have a bladder tank which does not have the affermentioned flapper.You have a leak between the pump and the tank,or a bad pump and check valve.Either way it needs to come up if your gauge is correct. Upper I am assuming a Submers. pump

Last edited:

nopressure

Reaction score
yes bladder tank i just did a test there is faucet before the presure tank fill abucket a 4gal an a min turn off . then check tank to see if water was gojng in tank no water going in tank brand new switch not coming on do you that i may have a clog in line at tee bar to tank??????? as i said pump is in well goes on and off with braker.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
i checked with volt meter 238 at presure swtch yes i can hear pump turn on
when my wife at braker me at well with 2-ways braker on pump on when she turns off pump gose off can hear water drain back out off line using miracle ear like on tv
Hey, do those miracle ears really work? I could use one to tune out SWILAMO during my TVs shows!

Yep, ya got a water leak in the drop pipe. If it was the check valve, you'd have full volume in the house and you have none, it's going back down the well.

And if the gauge is saying 20 lbs and you have no water, the gauge is bad.

nopressure

Reaction score
works great 19.99 no check vavle never had one work great for ten years got heavy rain for two day last week that's when started gage brand new

nopressure

Reaction score
no not wet took cover off to listen to pump come on and off when my wife turned braker on &off volts at well 238......

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
If he has a little water in the tank, then the gauge will read the pre-charge of the bladder which I'm guessing is around 20#. I'm also willing to bet that there's a leak down the well or in the offset piping. If the piping coming through the foundation can be easily disconnected a lot of times you can hook up a pressure tester to test for a leak. If it builds pressure or little to no pressure and drops almost immediately to 0 on shut-off then you definitely have a leak. If you definitely do then after that you have to repeat the process at the wellhead to determine if it's in the well or the piping underground from the well to the house. If it's in the well pull the pump and repair the leak or replace the faulty pipe. If it's underground you need to start digging, sorry.

nopressure

Reaction score
don't you think the tank should fill somewhat or will presure swtch come on frist if so it's not. all puzzled!!!!!!!!!!!

nopressure

Reaction score
I put the pipe in the ground one peice 1'' black sprikler line easy to take off at line to tank in basement .

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I see this a lot! Usually an old galv fitting that has rotted, older 100# polyethylene or sch 40 pvc pipe or a bad check valve in the drop pipe. In my opinion galv pipe should be banned for water use!

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
If the tank isn't building pressure and the pressure switch line isn't plugged with anything then the contacts on the pressure switch should already be closed or "on" as you've referred to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks