1/2" pex to 1/4" copper for ice maker

Users who are viewing this thread

JEP

Reaction score
I need to install an ice maker. The plumbing in the house is all pex. I have easy access to a 1/2" pex pipe, but have some restrictions as I cannot get a crimping tool into the tight area available to me. I'm guessing that a saddle valve and pex would be a mistake, right.

I read a few threads here about shark bite fittings and am thinking that might be a solution. I'd need a 1/2" sharkbite tee, and then from there I'm lost as to how to get down to the 1/4" copper tubing. Any help, much appreciated.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Ice Maker

They do make a ice maker pex valve thats 1/2 x 1/4 inch. You have to do your own searching for it, luck. :)

Mario

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sharkbite tee in the pex, then a little 1/2" copper stub........2-3" long and a "straight stop" 1/2 X 1/4 compression.

Those are a little hard to find, so if they don't have one available a 1/2 X 3/8 Straight stop and a 3/8 female X 1/4 compression will screw right onto the 3/8 end of the stop to take you to the 1/4" tubing.

I carry a few of those on my truck, the last time I went to Lowe's they didn't have 1/2 X 1/4 stops but they did have the 3/8 X 1/4 adapters.
Most plumbing supply stores should have the stops in one peice.

Be careful...they make several 3/8" Female thread X 1/4" Compression adapters and not all of them will screw right onto a 3/8 compression stop end.
You about have to take one out of the package and make sure it works, the one that doesn't work is so close you about can't tell the difference with the naked eye.
I picked up the wrong one once and waited till I was in the truck to open the package and find out it wouldn't screw on to the stop.
The one that works comes with a little gasket in the package and you have to teflon tape the 3/8 end on the stop AND use the gasket or it will leak.

Last edited:

JEP

Reaction score
Those are a little hard to find, so if they don't have one available a 1/2 X 3/8 Straight stop and a 3/8 female X 1/4 compression will screw right on to 3/8 end of the stop to take you to the 1/4" tubing.

Yep, thats what I had to use. Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.

Mario

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a saddle valve and pex would be a mistake, right.

A saddle tap is always a mistake, even with copper.
They make regular full-size compression stops that are 1/2 X 1/4.
That is all I ever use. Saddle taps are just asking for trouble.

They also make a pex crimper that reaches into tight spaces and you don't need two men and a small boy to operate the crimp.
It uses a stainless ring with a wire loop.
The crimper just has to squeeze the loop on one side of the ring, not the ring itself. This one tool also works on all sizes of pex up to 1".
That's what I use now.

Also on the stops you always want to get the newer 1/4 turn ball valve design.
The old gate valve type stops have a small gasket that disolves and leaks or blocks the flow after just 5-10 years.

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The other thing you can do is attach a sharkbit 1/2 x 1/2 FIP and mate to a John Guest 1/2 MIP thread X 1/4 "push in" (same concept as a shark-bit) for the tubing that leads to the frig.

JEP

Reaction score
Thanks for the added info. I'm sure I'll have more plumbing jobs to do in this house.

Mario - I did not see the crimping tool you mention at HD or Lowes. I'm guessing you can get that at a plumbing supply house, yes. I rented a crimping tool yesterday only to get it home and find that I could not use it. If I buy one in the future, It'll be the one you mentioned.

Thanks to all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks