Trench drain in shower using Kurdi

Users who are viewing this thread

fredonparkln

Reaction score
Have been searching for a trench drain that is compatible with Kurdi waterproofing. So far have found 2 trench drains but not sure that any will work with Kurdi---Stormtech available in US from infinitydrain.com; Quick Drain at quickdrainusa.com. Any one have any experience with these or others using Kurdi??

TedL

Reaction score
The best place to pose this question is at johnbridge.com, which does for tiling what this place does for plumbing.

BTW, the name of the product is Kerdi.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Fair warning: John Bridge site people brook no dissent and will corral you into their mindset, which must promote their sponsor's products, and obviously also as per the sponsor's prescribed methods which allow no other drain to be discussed. Mixing any other product with theirs is the biggest no-no, and they will find ways to sprinkle doubt flakes all over your discussion thread if you keep posting. Or fear flakes, or uncertainty flakes. I don't know whether they've changed over the years; perhaps they are more independent now, in terms of their beholdedness to their main sponsor, but I dropped them completely once I saw who they really were underneath it all, and how they operated. The pro's in their pro forum are forbidden from helping newbies think independently too, so even if you get a thread going over in the pro forum you won't get any really truthful responses. Searching deep, you'll see that professionals do mix and match products to suit their needs. It does make sense that they would leave you hanging, not knowing what they would do; what I object to is all the "friendly" front to their shilling and half-truthing. I caught a few doozies and I was told to henceforth only post on my own threads concerning my own projects and also to do certain other things and not to do certain other things (and also never to mention these restrictions or else suffer forever)....

hmmm.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a discussion at www.johnbridge.com now about how to do a trench drain with Kerdi. They promote properly constructed showers per the TCNA. Lots of people make them with mudbeds and liners. If you've seen how a shower performs, you'd understand that a good surface applied membrane has many advantages. Schluter and Noble both make a good product. Both are discussed. What they don't abide by is a shower that is not build per accepted standards. You might call Schluter and see what they have in thoughts about a trench drain. They have some products that aren't in their catalog. For example, they can get you a working tub drain that will work with Kerdi. They may have other things as well.

There are a lot of technical issues about any drain...by their nature, they must make a good seal with the liner. Kerdi is designed to make a good seal if you can overlap it properly onto a surface that will allow the thinset to bond. Clamping it is possible, but not the preferred method. By far the easiest way to do it is with their traditional drain. If you really need a trench drain, there are ways to do it. Kerdi fix or another urethane adhesive might work, but is a thin layer of defense...a wide thinsetted joint is better. Kerdi repels water, so the wider the joint, the bigger the margin of safety. relying on a narrow band of sealant doesn't give you much tolerance for success.

That site has multiple sponsers, and many advocates. But the responses you'll get are pretty good...give them a try.

Last edited:

LuxuryBathrooms

Reaction score
We are authorized distributors for one of the Trench Drains you mentioned. However, because of the high price we were losing some customers and began searching for another product at a more affordable price point so we could offer another solution to our more cost conscience customers! In January we installed 3 Linear Trench Drains purchased at www.whatadrain.com, and than 2 more in February. We really like the price point, find that they are very easy to install and offer considerable flexibilities. For those of us using the Schluter Kerdi Membrane, you can now order this product with a 5" glue flange factory installed. We have been very pleased with the results AND more importantly so have our customers!

crayola32

Reaction score
The Kerdi Line Drain in Las Vegas last month

I dont see how this drains off the sides of the drain or between the wall and the drain. It appears to be set in a large tile which cant be sloped in all direction towards the drain. Right?

How do you get the water to drain from the left and right side of a linear if its not running the full length of the wall?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks