Ballpark of Central Air on a 1,120 sqft Row House with ducts

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
I was contemplating installing a central air on a 2 floor row house with a basement that's 1,120 square feet. It already has an existing ducts for force air heat. I was trying to get a rough ball park to see if this is a good and cost effective idea (may be it will be too expensive).

In addition, what would they have to do to install the unit? Do they typically install the unit on the roof or on ground level.

Thanks.

Paul

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you have ducted heat so you can certainly add A/C. We can't do justice to what a cost would be. Something like a 3 ton condenser and coil would be about a $ 900 for the equipment, which the contractor would have to charge you about $1800 for to cover warranty , and the labor to install this could run $1500 to $4500. Lots of variable such as how hard it will be to run the copper, and to run the electric circuit.

One of the variable is the furnace. Your furnace may have a large enough blower to support its heat output, but not large enough to support the tonnage of A/C you need. A well qualified contractor will calculate all this, but the point is it could be new furnace time as well.

There should be some contractors in your area who would be willing to take a look and give you some bids. Around here, the HVAC contractors are advertising that they have overbought on systems....maybe in anticipation of new construction or remodel work which went away... and they say they will cut you a deal.

The condenser can go on the roof or outside. If you have neighbors or a HOA, you need to consider that. Also, a crane will be needed to put it on the roof. Add $$$$

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Thanks, so it'll be a $5k+ (at least) job, so that it will probably be too costly as a remodeling. I guess we'll continue to use AC out the window instead.

Paul

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think he said it would necessarily be that much. What he said was there are too many variables to even make a close guess. You should check with local contractors and have them give you price quotes after assessing your situation.

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Well, I think the relative who wanted this done wanted to spend no more than $2000. The unit itself cost $900 and $1800 with warranty, so it is likely to exceed that with installation.

Paul

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a relative that wants a cheap job on an AC, my advise is to run as fast as you can. Claim an old sports injury, or anything, but don't get involved. It will come back to haunt you.:eek:

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Well, neither the relative or I know how much an a/c install is suppose to cost. This is why I asked about a rough bar park so that we know. There is a list of stuff that needs to be done around the house, and she just wanted to know which one is worth doing.

Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks