Garage door in RO less than door width?

Users who are viewing this thread

jrfiero

Reaction score
I'm faced with a problem with narrow wall bracing in a wall with two 9' garage doors and a man door. To provide the required width of the end wall braced panels using the APA method, I will be left with less than 9' ROs for the 9' doors. It strikes me that this is no big deal - the door will be mounted behind the framing anyway (inside the garage). I'm talking about 3/4" on each side.

Does that sound like a solution? I know I'll have to properly place the 2x6 perimiter band inside the framing for bracket attachment.

'Course, there's always trimming 3/4 off the doors! But I don't know what material doors I'll be using yet.

Thanks,
Jonas

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
As long as you don't mind the looks
3/4" missing from RO
Then another 3/4" covered over bythe outside trim
That means you are covering up ~1.5" of the door
That may look weird

I put my door on the side of the garage instead of the front to keep my 9' doors. I need the clearance with a truck

AZ Contractor

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm faced with a problem with narrow wall bracing in a wall with two 9' garage doors and a man door. To provide the required width of the end wall braced panels using the APA method, I will be left with less than 9' ROs for the 9' doors. It strikes me that this is no big deal - the door will be mounted behind the framing anyway (inside the garage). I'm talking about 3/4" on each side.

Don't worry about it. Its done that way all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks