Tankless Water heater for a single Washer

Users who are viewing this thread

scheidelman

Reaction score
Perhaps questions similar to this have been asked. I am trying to get a new tankless electric hot water heater to be used exclusively for a front loading washing machine. (Separating out the gas back to the tenant will save me $1500 per year). The Speed Queen uses 13.9 gallons of water per load, but only 1.75 gallons of hot water per load. (There is no chance of getting gas run to this area. I already have a common electric bill to pay) I live in Chicago. I’m looking for a recommendation for a tankless electric hot water heater’s make/model for this situation. The heater can be located right next to the Washer. Is there a unit that fits my needs? If so, can you please suggest a make/model?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't see any that the mfr. specifically says is good for a washing machine but chronomite and eemax have "instant" hots sized for a variety of applications from dishwashers to whole house units.

Having said that, I would never put one in my house. When I have clients request them I always warn them that I've never seen one locally last two years, most die in a year.
The gas models seem to have better setups with their heat exchangers.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think your costs would be much lower, and more than sufficient, if you installed a small electric WH for use by the washing machine. The installed cost of a tankless would be high, and when running it for a short time, not particularly efficient - you finally get the heating element up to temp, and you stop the flow.

To get a good temperature rise, you may need an upgrade to the electrical service. A small tank would fit in without any change.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I think your costs would be much lower, and more than sufficient, if you installed a small electric WH for use by the washing machine. The installed cost of a tankless would be high, and when running it for a short time, not particularly efficient - you finally get the heating element up to temp, and you stop the flow.

To get a good temperature rise, you may need an upgrade to the electrical service. A small tank would fit in without any change.

What he said. Tiny foam-insulated sub-5 gallon tanks (eg. Bosch Ariston series) are adequate, with recovery times shorter than your wash cycle & low standby losses.

The cost of the power upgrade for an electric tankless (as well as the cost of the tankless itself) would NEVER pay off here.

scheidelman

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like tankless is not the way to go. Bosch Ariston makes a 4 gallon model for $169 - No tax - Free shipping. It has a 6 year warranty on the tank. It's 120 volts. Just plug it into an outlet, which I already have available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks