Small knob below shutoff valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

generalinq

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question but I moved into a new house and I have a faucet going to the back of my house as well as another one going to in the garage. Both have their own shutoff valves inside the house. Below the shutoff valve there is a small circular knob that I can turn clockwise/counterclockwise. Since the warmer months are here and we wanted to start using the water I opened up the shutoff and everything seemed fine. But as soon as I start using the tap, it starts to leak in my basement through that tiny knob. Only starts to leak as soon as I turn the water on from the outside/garage. I have to quickly tighten the knob! This happened to both faucets I have. I didn't have those knobs at my old house.

1. What are those knobs?
2. Why do they get lose? I'm sure they were tested and tightened when I moved into the house.

Thanks in advance!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't know, can you post a pic. From your description I would suspect it might have something to do with winterizing the pipes. Best guess.

Thepartsguy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bleeders to drain the pipe off. Should be a rubber disc inside the cap. A big wad of teflon tape works good in a pinch.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Shut Off Valves ?

(Thepartsguy) Has a good handle on what they are, they are called stop & waste valves, they are also used when you want to shut off a section of your plumbing and drain the water out of that section only for servicing. :)

generalinq

Reaction score
thx

thx for all the replies. Ya I may just add some teflon since I'm scared they may come lose again and leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks