Water Softener Self installation

Users who are viewing this thread

chubyball

Reaction score
Is it possible to install Water Softener by myself? Anyone here ever done it?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It will involve cutting in to your cold water supply pipe at a location such that all the house water, and NOT the water for the outside faucets, is softened. That will involve soldering to your copper pipes. Then you must route the drain tubing to a code-approved drain location.

Almost everywhere in the country, you are ALLOWED to do this, AND you are REQUIRED to get a local permit.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Is it possible to install Water Softener by myself? Anyone here ever done it?
I've been selling water treatment to DIYers for at least 6+ years and they install it per my very detailed instructions without problems. Or they hire a plumber.

It is simple water line plumbing and in many instances you don't have to solder, you can use compression fittings or Shark Bite or similar types of fittings. Or you can learn to solder in about 20-30 minutes, I send everyone a link to a Windows movie that runs about 15 minutes and teaches how to solder. Or you can use corrugated flexible SS or copper tubing and not solder.

I very rarely hear of a customer or a plumber they hire, getting a permit.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As with any alteration of the "potable" water supply, an understanding of cross connection and backflow are key elements in doing the job safely. Permits are required pretty much everywhere to do this type of work. In NH a license is required to do this kind of work. Improperly installed, the installation could lead to a multitude of problems.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
softener

The biggest factor to be concerned with is making sure you get the water flowing through the softener in the correct direction, which may NOT be the easiest way to connect it to the existing water pipes.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
As with any alteration of the "potable" water supply, an understanding of cross connection and backflow are key elements in doing the job safely. Permits are required pretty much everywhere to do this type of work. In NH a license is required to do this kind of work. Improperly installed, the installation could lead to a multitude of problems.
Yes I tell'em all that they shouldn't plumb the drain line from a sink etc. or the sewer line to the inlet or outlet of their softener. Or the drain line from the softener to their toilet....

Did you mean to say that a homeowner there in NH must be licensed to do water line plumbing in their own homes?

I'll have to tell the NH DIYers that call me and see what they say. I think they'll say "yeah right, and I'll quit speeding'n dumping my laundry water out back too".

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Homeowners can install their own stuff but they still need a permit and inspection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We do know that in MA, it is absolutely illegal for a homeowner to do even the smallest plumbing job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks