Easy question (?)

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkyMarky

Reaction score
Dear All,
Thanks for reading this post. On my kitchen sink, the tailpipe and the trap keep coming disconnected, probably because the vibration of the garbage disposal causes the two to vibrate so much that the trap eventually slips off of the tailpipe. Of course, once it's off, it's an awful mess!

So, I'm confused because there are no threads on the tailpipe to screw on the trap's slipnut. It was set up by the original plumber so that the trap just shoves up onto the tailpipe. I guess that's normal, but I don't know because I don't have any plumbing experience.

So what do I do to keep that trap from slipping off? I've shoved it back up several times, but it just keeps slipping off more and more.

Is plumber's putty enough to keep it together? Or should I combine that with duct tape?

Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tailpiece is smooth. It should slip into the trap adapter. There should be a beveled washer that fits around the tailpiece that is wedged tight around it by the nut on the trap. If the washer is backwards or the nut isn't tightened enough, it can fall apart. The tapered side of the washer should point into the trap (with the flat side compressed by the nut).

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The only one on this board authorized to use duct tape is nhmaster and that's only on gas related threads.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
sounds like you need a longer tail piece. all tubing and sockets should bottom out without stress on the system.

I used duct tape on gas pipe the other day, seemed to keep the dirt out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks