(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Easy question (?)

Default Easy question (?)

Dear All,
    Thanks for reading this post. On my kitchen sink, the tailpipe and the trap keep coming disconnected, probably because the vibration of the garbage disposal causes the two to vibrate so much that the trap eventually slips off of the tailpipe. Of course, once it's off, it's an awful mess!

So, I'm confused because there are no threads on the tailpipe to screw on the trap's slipnut. It was set up by the original plumber so that the trap just shoves up onto the tailpipe. I guess that's normal, but I don't know because I don't have any plumbing experience.

So what do I do to keep that trap from slipping off? I've shoved it back up several times, but it just keeps slipping off more and more.

Is plumber's putty enough to keep it together? Or should I combine that with duct tape?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The tailpiece is smooth. It should slip into the trap adapter. There should be a beveled washer that fits around the tailpiece that is wedged tight around it by the nut on the trap. If the washer is backwards or the nut isn't tightened enough, it can fall apart. The tapered side of the washer should point into the trap (with the flat side compressed by the nut).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

The only one on this board authorized to use duct tape is nhmaster and that's only on gas related threads.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

sounds like you need a longer tail piece. all tubing and sockets should bottom out without stress on the system.

I used duct tape on gas pipe the other day, seemed to keep the dirt out.
    Last edited by BAPlumber; 06-17-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: duct tape
    Brent

Default drain

If it is coming apart it is either not assembled correctly, or some pieces were cut too short.