Well Tank Casing Repair - Hole

Users who are viewing this thread

robertpatterson

Reaction score
I have a hole in my Residential Well Tank Casing. How do I fix it? Or do I need a new tank?
Any recommendations would be a great help.
I believe it is a steel 10000 gal tank.

Thanks.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Is it a tank for a low producing well, for multiple wells,or is it for residential storage. If it's an atmospheric tank with a booster tank/booster pump you may be able to repair it, if it's just atmospheric pressure. If it's a pressure tank I wouldn't recommend it as that involves an air charge that constantly gets compressed and I wouldn't recommend a repair that's constantly under higher pressure

robertpatterson

Reaction score
It is a residental storage tank with a pressure pump next to it. The holes range from pin to pea size.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With an old steel tank you can drive wooden pegs into the holes. They swell up and seal nicely. I have seen tanks with a hundred wooden pegs. You would be surprised how long this temporary patch lasted.

robertpatterson

Reaction score
Thanks, will try the wood pegs today. I stuck magnets on the holes- some work and some have drizzles. I am looking for a temp solution until the summer when I have to water lots and then can empty the tank and reseal it.

Any tips on resealing it?

It is a 10,000 gal tank. Use it for the house, pool and lots of watering of groundcover.

Really appreciate all the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When you start patching an old steel tank, there is no place to stop. I would replace it with a plastic one. You can probably get by with a much smaller one. While it is still working, do a little testing on the quantity used and time to refill and decide how large of tank you really need.

robertpatterson

Reaction score
The tank got drained- Gardner left some sprinkers open. So now would be the time to fix the holes. The wood pegs worked! Thanks. But now the bottom of the tank is leaking. One small area. How would I fix this? Someone was going to line it with the same material that seals pipes but he was told today that the stuff is toxic.

I believe I need a new pump so before getting a new tank, I want to see if my water is low or the new pump works. Rightnow, I get very little water..I think that is why I have such a big tank. I'm the third owner of this house.

Thanks for all the help!

robertpatterson

Reaction score
I cook with it, but I don't have to. Make Tea & Coffee, but don't drink it plain. I water the fruit trees and plants with it also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks