Need 9" Hole Saw

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a house that has hand plastered walls that use a light metal mesh under the plaster.

I'm having central air put in, and my HVAC man says I can help make his job easier if I put in the 9" holes for the ducts and returns in the ceiling.

Does anybody know where I can get a 9" hole saw, or of an efficient way to make these holes?
Thanks for any advice

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The metal lath will be a killer...sharp and nasty stuff. I've used a Rotozip to cut large round holes. None of the bits available for it would last long going through the lath. But, if you set the depth to cut through the plaster, it would give you a nice template to cut the lath, maybe with a metal cutting blad on a jigsaw or a good pair of tinsnips or aviation cutters.

This might work. I might also catch and make a mess! http://www.holepro.com/powerseries.html#X The biggest traditional hole saw I found was 6".

geno54

Reaction score
I'm having central air put in, and my HVAC man says I can help make his job easier if I put in the 9" holes for the ducts and returns in the ceiling.

Does anybody know where I can get a 9" hole saw, or of an efficient way to make these holes?

The reason he said that is because cutting plaster with either wood lathe or metal grid is that is tedious and time consuming to perform. Chips are common and ceilings sometimes have to be repatched and or painted afterwards if not done carefully. No 9 inch hole saws I know of.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, there is a tool that is used with a Rotozip to cut a hole up to 12-14". It sits in a hole that you drill, then from there, the Roto sits on the outside edge. You do need to use a Carbide tip cutter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks