How long do shower valves last?

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
I have a 1984 moen valve in my shower. How long do the valve bodies last?
If i redo my shower should I get the valve assembly / body replaced - the part that is soldered into the hot and cold pipes?

moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The body could last your lifetime...the cartridge and trim certainly won't. I don't know when they instituted the federal requirement for anti-scald tecnology on showers, but if yours doesn't have that, I'd certainly change it. Some people love Moen, but there are lots of stories about people having great trouble trying to remove the old cartridge to replace it when it finally fails. They'll give yo ua new one, but so what if it costs you hours, or the cost of a plumber to do it?

With a remodel, I'd rather opt for replacing the valve. Then you'll also have more choices about the trim. Personally, I like Grohe, but many of the pros here like the Delta 1700 valve body. I really like a thermostatically controlled shower valve...set it for your preferred temp, and it stays the same winter to summer...beginning of the water in the WH to the end. That's available from most companies, and is an option on the 1700 valve from Delta.

Agu

Reaction score
The body could last your lifetime...the cartridge and trim certainly won't. I don't know when they instituted the federal requirement for anti-scald tecnology on showers, but if yours doesn't have that, I'd certainly change it. Some people love Moen, but there are lots of stories about people having great trouble trying to remove the old cartridge to replace it when it finally fails.

My house was built in the early 80's with all Moen valves and with bad cartridges in the tub and shower. My local hardware store sold replacement cartridges and rented out a cartridge puller with a refundable deposit. Took ten minutes per unit to pull them and replace them.

That said if you have young children opt for the anti-scald valves. The peace of mind alone is worth the cost.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

There is a possibility that yours could be pressure balanced even at that age, but there is no way to be certain unless it is labled MoenTrol or you remove the large trim ring and look at the valve. The MoenTrol valve has a balancing spool in the body at the lower right side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks