Hammered well is dirty so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A cable rig, used for pounding a well, usually uses a bailer to develop a well. A bailer is a piece of pipe dropped in the well and water enters the bottom of the pipe and as the pipe is pulled out, a valve on the bottom of the pipe closes so the watrer and what is in it can't get out. Then when it is out of the well, the open the valve and dump the water and what it is in on the ground. When needed, the bailer is not removed from the well, just pulled up and then dropped back down 'surging' the water in the well to clean rock chips etc. out of fissures, cracks, seams between rock layers etc. in the rock allowing water to flow into the well. A balier can also be used to clean muck off the bottom of the well. Or, compressed air can lift water and muck chips etc. out of the well. And the air can be used to lift the water and then shut off to allow the water to fall back down the well to 'surge' the well.

All that is called developing a well. If not done sufficiently or correctly, the water can remain dirty or there will be lower recovery water gpm. Clay and other things can cause dirty water.

I doubt this old time driller doesn't know what he's doing and how to do it all.

Get rid of the cartridge in your water filter housing when pumping off the well, all its doing is reducing flow while it plugs up. Try to filter the water with a coffee filter or a tee shirt etc. and if it comes out clear, you might want a real water filter that is sized correctly for your family size, the number of bathrooms and the type of fixtures in them. That would backwash automatically every few days.

siltmi

Reaction score
ref for a water filter?

hi

i am in a silty well water situation. and i want to install a whole house water filter. can anyone reference a good brand/company, sizing/design requirements, or anything else i need to figure this out?

thanks!!!!!!!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
hi

i am in a silty well water situation. and i want to install a whole house water filter. can anyone reference a good brand/company, sizing/design requirements, or anything else i need to figure this out?

thanks!!!!!!!
How much silt, describe color and volume and if it settles in a glass or not.

Have you had iron and manganese and tannins tests? Or how do you know it is "silt"? Describe the particles. Do they dissolve in vinegar or not?

How old is the well?

What type well is it, 2" 6" screened or rock bore? Submersible pump or jet pump and if so what type; two line or single line etc.?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks