Hammered well is dirty so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tug Hill

Reaction score
Had a Contractor put a well in for me 3 weeks ago. 120' deep @ 6 gal a minute. It's a Hammered well, ( if that's the right description ). The 1/2 hp
pump is at 110' . The zip where the well is located is 13325, in Upstate NY, if that means anything, as far as the geology goes.
I've had a hose going out the door, and have had someone turning the breaker on for 3 hrs a day @ 5 gals a minute. ( I set the rate with a spigot ).

He must have sent 15,000 gal out the door by now, and it won't come clean.
It starts off a little cloudy, and ends up battleship grey.

Do you think it's rock powder from the pile driving ????????
There are no particles in the water, just what looks like stone dust water.
2 people have said raise the pump a little, and others have said keep pumping.

I'm 300 miles away from the place, and am trying to get an opinion on what to
do. thanx Wally

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How long did the contractor spend in the development of this new well? Upper

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Try pouring some water through a coffee filter and see whats there.
It does sound like it wasn't developed enough.
I may be wrong, but that is what sounds like.
Are any of the wells around yours experiencing the same thing? (assuming they are the same depth)

Travis

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
First the well is drilled and cased.Then it can be developed with air to clean out all the cuttings in the fishers or cracks in the rock.With only 6 G,per minute it is hard to get a washing machine thing going on,without a lot of time or hauled in water.Was the caseing driven or is there a filter pak? Upper

Tug Hill

Reaction score
I have an inline filter, and had a 5 micron filter in it, at first. It was just grey
muck.........not even the size of sand particles. It's the same color as all the stuff on the ground next to the hole he drilled. He's done the majority of the wells in the area, and there is one about 1/2 mile from me that never came clean. What does it mean when you say it might not have been " Developed enough " ???? He said he hit soft rock for the 1st 80", and only had 4 gal a min., then he said he hit hard rock on the last 40, and got 6 gal.

Tug Hill

Reaction score
First the well is drilled and cased.Then it can be developed with air to clean out all the cuttings in the fishers or cracks in the rock.With only 6 G,per minute it is hard to get a washing machine thing going on,without a lot of time or hauled in water.Was the caseing driven or is there a filter pak? Upper

The casing was driven to 20"

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Where is the caseing slotted and was the well driven or was the caseing lowered by cable freely into the hole. Upper

Tug Hill

Reaction score
Where is the caseing slotted and was the well driven or was the caseing lowered by cable freely into the hole. Upper

Upper:
I wasn't there when it was done. Now I can kick myself.............!

He's no rookie at wells, but something doesn't seem right .

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is ,You have 4 gal per minute at 60 feet and got an additional 2 gpm at 80 feet for a total of 6gpm? Upper

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
. . He's done the majority of the wells in the area, and there is one about 1/2 mile from me that never came clean. What does it mean when you say it might not have been " Developed enough " ???.

Never came clean?
That is not a good sign.

Developed= The use of compressed air to blow the water out of the well in order to pull all possible mud, and lose sediment out, and start water flow.

There are some other ways to develop a well, but compressed air is the best way (IMO) to get the most out of a well.

Travis

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is prolly just cased the first 20 feet then open from there.If the caseing was big enough you could put a liner and exclude the 60 foot water,where I think the problem lies,but that only leaves you with 2gpm...Upper

Tug Hill

Reaction score
Sooooooooo it sounds like you think the problem is with the 1st 80' of the well.? If that's the case, would you suggest trying to pump it further, or fill it with concrete, and be done with it. The driller also said it might have something to do with clay ?

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Has anybody gone deeper with success in the area?Was air used to develope? Upper

Tug Hill

Reaction score
Upper:
I believe most of the other wells are only 60'.................my luck for sure.

I don't know if he used air....I wasn't there........but there's a good 2
yards of ground rock on the ground next to the hole.

I paid the guy in full as soon as he finished, and would have no problem spending a bit more to get it right. I don't know what I should ask him to do.
I'm just a little apprehensive about things, because of the results so far.
I do realize that there are no guarantees for clean water.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As your firat post stated,it sounds like he used air to evac. the hole while he dug.Either with a air hammer or a button type bit.If he did not have a water truck at the hole while he developed to enhance development,then that is an option.Pull the pump go back in the hole and try that.If it works then it should be his dime.How deep are the good holes cased.Oh what a tangled web we weave.....Upper

Tug Hill

Reaction score
Upper;

Thanks for your input into the situation..........I don't know if he had a water truck. I'll call and find out..................I hope I didn't get Drilled on this one.....hehe

Tug Hill

Reaction score
As your firat post stated,it sounds like he used air to evac. the hole while he dug.Either with a air hammer or a button type bit.If he did not have a water truck at the hole while he developed to enhance development,then that is an option.Pull the pump go back in the hole and try that.If it works then it should be his dime.How deep are the good holes cased.Oh what a tangled web we weave.....Upper

How much do you think it would cost to have someone come up with a water truck, and try to clean this well up ? Not figuring travel time, just the on site job.........a middle of the road price.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some have to get their rig back over the hole,some have portable air.A lot of questions need to be answered before you throw the money.Well drilling has less guartys.than anything.Bottom line you got to have water,clean water.How deep do you have to go? If the 80 foot water can not be cleaned up then it has to be blocked from the well...Upper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks