Pump Stuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Ikkaruss

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I just bought my first house as a foreclosure so I dont know much about whats down in my well but my pump failed the other day during a lightning storm and Im trying to pull it out.
It is a 50 foot well with 4" steel casing and poly pipe. I had a "pro" come out and take a look and he couldnt pull it out but he was just using his hands.
He gave up and I came out with a comealong and got it all attached to the poly pipe and cranked it a few times. The pipe came up a few inches but I cannot tell if it is the poly pipe stretching or if the pump is moving at all.
I was told that there is either mineral buildup in the casing or the pump could have swelled when it was struck by lightning.

This "professional" put a few small cups of dry acid? down the casing.
Now I read the label on this dry acid and it recommends something like 1 pound of the acid to 1 gallon of water in the well. Has anyone here had experience with some acids breaking up the deposits in the well? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also I have thought about running some galvanized pipe down to the top of the pump and beat it with a hammer hoping to dislodge it from its stuck position. Has anyone tried this either? anything that I should be careful with?

Also worst case senario lets say when i use this winch to pull it up and the poly pipe breaks or pops off the pump what would I do then?

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is the reason I don't like plastic drop pipe. The steel pipe down to tunk on the pump is a good idea, but don't tunk on the poly and break it off.

I wouldn't use any kind of acid down a well to loosen a pump. It will dissolve a lot of other gunk from the casing and droppipe and all that junk will settle down on top of the pump making it even harder to pull.

If your well PRO doesn't have a rig, he's not much of a pro.

If you can get the pump to go down a little working it up and down will eventually help free it up by wearing the mineral off the pump and motor.

I doubt you can pull the pipe off the barb fitting if it was installed right.

Ikkaruss

Reaction score
thanks speed. I have read many of you posts already prior to posting and I know how you feel about poly pipe and I also know that you know what your talking about.

I will try to tap this pump down and see If I can get any movement on it.

My "pro" is an asshole and thats why i used quotes everytime i wrote "pro"

I see you mentioned a rig and I dont know very much about this area.
Is there some type of machine that a true professional has that will make the removal of this pump easier?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is there some type of machine that a true professional has that will make the removal of this pump easier?

Yes, it's usually called a pump hoist. The good ones have walking beams that make it easy to bump things up and down to break them free. Problem is, with plastic pipe, that's not possible. All the bumping is absorbed by the plastic pipe and the pump doesn't feel a thing. So if you can get a pipe down beside the plastic pipe, preferably steel pipe. You can possibly knock it down and break it loose. You would do better by juking the pipe up and down as oppossed to pounding on the top of the pipe. If you could flatten the end of the pipe a bit to make it hit the outer edge of the pump away from the plastic pipe, barb fitting and clamps, that would be good too. Once your down, you have to feel your way around. Like to make sure the flat spot is perpindicular to the pumps discharge head.

If you can get it to move at all, it will probably come out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks