1930's Standard Mfg Shower Valve repair

Users who are viewing this thread

grebersole

Reaction score
I have a 1930 Standard Mfg Shower "mixing" valve that is leaking the "mixing" valve turns the water on and off, controls the temperture and diverts the water to two seperate faucets that contol an overhead shower head and slie shower heads. Does anyone know what is involved in repairing this valve, what parts I need and where I might find them

DSC05788.jpg

DSC05786.jpg

DSC05784.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That valve is not easy to repair,last one I repaired was over 15 yrs ago.
It would take me 2 hrs to type all the info you need to fix it.
There is a yoke on the main stem that operates two other stems
on the inside for the hot and cold,and all those parts want to come
apart once you pull the main stem out.

Last edited:

grebersole

Reaction score
That's waht I was afraid of Can't even find a plumber that wants to touch it. Any other suggestions would be most welcomed.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sure this is not the advise you are looking for, it's not a quick, easy, cheap way to patch up this ancient fixture, but for what it's worth, this is what I would do if it were mine. I'd remove the old fixture and install a new one with anti scald. I realize there would need to be some tile replacement and this would create some problems, but you would then have an up to date shower.:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

One problem is that there are two different versions which are similar on the outside but completely different internally so you have to know which it is before I could give you a parts breakdown.

Thepartsguy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its either an American Standard B201 or B202, most of the brass has long been gone but the rubber kit is still out there as well as the hot & cold chokes and sleeves.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Off with it's head. Time to upgrade. You can get a new Delta with the big " Oh my god what have I done" chrome plate that covers the old holes.

grebersole

Reaction score
I was trying to preserve the art deco style of the bathroom and would prefer to repair this fixture vs replace. Any idea how to tell if it is an American Standard B201 or B202? I am afraid if I start to take it apart to determine what type it is, I may never be able to repair it. Perhaps I jsut need to suck it up and upgrade?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Off with it's head. Time to upgrade. You can get a new Delta with the big " Oh my god what have I done" chrome plate that covers the old holes.

Or, If you are lucky there is access through a closet or bedroom wall behind the valve so you don't need a smitty plate.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A/s

The B201-202, (and K100R) use a Re-Nu unit which might be too new for this one. It could also be B200,B203,B204,R1400 series which used a compresson washer on the spindle. Externally they are too similar to make a judgement call without seeing the internals.

grebersole

Reaction score
The B201-202, (and K100R) use a Re-Nu unit which might be too new for this one. It could also be B200,B203,B204,R1400 series which used a compresson washer on the spindle. Externally they are too similar to make a judgement call without seeing the internals.

Water is leaking (streaming) out of the spindle so could that help narrow it down?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks