black water

Users who are viewing this thread

remoldel12

Reaction score
I have a house thats water supply is on a well. Our problem is in one bath room when you turn the tub faucet on the water runs black for ten to fifteen seconds and then clears up. This is the only fixture in the house that is this way. the supply lines are all copper 30 to 40 years old. There were three steel elbows along this line that were changed along with the faucets and the spout. This seened to solve the problem for two or three days but now its back just as it was. Would appreciate any help or advice you could give us thanks.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Often when draining steel fire sprinkler lines I have seen the water black. The water sits in these lines for quite awhile usually before they are drained for maintenance, etc. Have you noticed whether it is the hot side or the cold side? If it seems to be one or the other this may help isolate the problem. I would assume if there were steel fittings then there must have been galv. steel pipe. Are you sure all the pipe/fittings were replaced in the wall? Does not seem like any well issue.

remoldel12

Reaction score
the black water seems to come from the hot side more now than before but is apparent in the cold also. Yes the fittings that were replaced were galv. One thing i didn't mention is there is a strong sulfur odor from this faucet only.Thanks for your reply and would appreciate any further advice you have.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You could have a galvanized nipple going to the tub valve or valves but H2S gas/sulfur causes gray/black water and possibly particles. It migrates to the highest point in the plumbing and oxidizes from a gas to a residue that clings to the inside of the pipe and is flushed out when you turn on the water.

remoldel12

Reaction score
gary is changing any galv. fittings the solution or is there more. if we change them what should we change to copper or plastic. thanks for the help what you have said seems like we could be on to something this line is the first highest point on this line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks