What the heck am i doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
Let me start from the beginning, I lost water in the house a few days ago. I went outside to find the pump running continuously, and dry. I stopped the pump, and tapped on the suction line and it was empty. I filled the pump to try and re-prime the system. Once I finally was able to build psi I bleed the system of air, which took a very long time. At this point the pump would not shut off and I was able to see my leaks a good sized one right at the pvc coupler in the suction line at the pump and a small one at the t-fitting going to the tank. At this point I put a list together of what I needed to fix problems. I replaced all damaged parts and went to priming system, I got it running and all was good until the next day wife calls me and said we had no water again. First thing I thought was that something I did must had failed. I got home to find that all my work was holding good.

Now is when things get good, I now figured my foot valve had failed. I opened the plug at the top of pump and closed line going to the house filled suction line a waited, it would always drop slowly but it dropped none the less (FOOT VALVE). So at this point it was time to find my well which i had no idea were it could be' I finally found it about 85-90ft from the pump in the front yard. So i thought great pull pipe replace foot valve all is well again. After fighting with well seal I got it lose, now my thinking was that it should only be around 20ft or so being its a single line jet pump, Nope I pulled around 30ft of cheap brittle pvc from well only to find the foot valve to be gone from bottom of pipe that was broken off who knows maybe right at the valve or not it was a 20ft section of pvc with coupler at 20ft then another 12ft to broken piece =32ft. So at this point I'm at a loss. So this being the first time I opened well on a house built in '69 lets check the depth, the well is 107ft deep with water at 25ft and my very small 3" case about 40ft to its end.

Now I guess what I'm trying to ask is how was my 1hp goulds pump pulling water with such great psi from that distance, luck? I also would like to know what depth should I attempt to place foot valve this time. I checked to see if their was any obstruction in pipe down to the bottom I couldn't feel my missing foot valve and unknown amount of pvc.

Should I just place the foot valve at 30ft remember this is a single 1.25" suction line with a long 85ft run to the pump. Water depth is at 25ft, I'm in Tampa, Fl. so who knows how low it goes during the drought season which we are kind of still in even though we've had alot of rain the past few weeks.

Why was it pulling water so good, could it be the small 3" case it was in. Neighbor across the street is dropped to only 17ft and has never had a problem, but he has water at 9ft.

Am I missing something or was there some kind of well drillers secret going on?:confused:

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
Also are there any submersible pumps that would work with a 3" casing maybe that could be an alternative.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Also are there any submersible pumps that would work with a 3" casing maybe that could be an alternative.

I think this is going to be your answer because you can't suck water up from more than 25' with a jet pump. The leaks were probably caused when the pump got hot from not being able to pump from that depth. Your water level must have gotten lower over time. Hydroflo makes a good 3" sub,

Last edited by a moderator:

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
Would i have a problem fitting a 3" pump in a 3" pipe. Also, it looks like the pumps are very expensive. It would take me months to save for all the items needed to complete the job. Could I convert the pump to a 2 pipe deep well set-up for less money, if so what all would be needed to complete this. Remember I have no idea what Im doing. My pump looks like a convertable style pump. I would call a pro but they dont work for free.:D

Speedbump

Reaction score
Three in two pipe jets went out with high button shoes. If you could find one, you would be one lucky guy. Three in single pipe jets are available but the problem with that is that 3" wells were put in about 30 plus years ago in Hillsborough county and most of them are full of holes which makes a single pipe jet unusable. The three inch sub is your best bet. I don't sell the Hydroflo's anymore, but I do sell Grundfos 3" subs. If you accurately measured your water level at 25 feet your not going to get any water until that distance gets to be less than 25 feet from the pumps suction port to the top of the water. This would also explain your current problem.

A three inch sub will run between $600 - $750.

I'm in Riverview by the way. Where are you?

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
I'm over in Land O Lakes not very far at all. How much would I be looking at for pump, power wire and any other needed components give or take. This will take me months to save up for so I just need an idea. This way I can make a plan that works for the family.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Wire is .85¢ per foot. A well seal is around $20.00. Droppipe (PVC Sch 80) is $1.11 per foot.

I highly recommend a Cycle Stop Valve and a new Bladder Tank. That would be another $220 or so.

We install the entire system for $1950.00. Everything new except the well.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
Wow ok so looks like I will be without water for a while. I will see what the wife wants to do and go from there.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I can tell you what the wife wants already. WATER! And she won't care how you get it. Even if you have to haul buckets from Tampa Bay. Women don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to having no water in the home.

I'm sure glad this is your problem and not mine. I don't think I could find a safe enough place to hide.

Good luck buddy! I'll keep a lookout in the Tribune to see if there are any stories about Spousal abuse in Land-o-Lakes.

DRACONIAN

Reaction score
My very good neighbor has let me use one of the 3 wells they have on there property. The well that is in the corner of there property is only about 200' from my tank so Ive connected to it until I can fix my issues. They wont accept any payment for the electricity used, and said I could use it as long as needed. I will be saving for a submersible Grundfos 3" SQ pump. The psi from the well I'm on now is 60psi compared to only 35-40psi that i have been on for over 9 years, lets hope I don't get any leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks