Control Box damaged by storm

Users who are viewing this thread

joytexas

Reaction score
I have a Franklin 1/2 HP water well between the house and barn. After returning home I discovered a storm had knocked out power to the well house. I flipped the breaker and power was restored to pump house (lights work), but pump is not coming on. I checked the control box and one of the brass connections (where the wires from pump come in) appears to be burned up. It is the one on the far right, marked "B" following "L1", "L2", "R", and "Y". Can I replace this brass connector and fix the problem? I am 25 miles to the nearest electrician or plumber, so if I can fix this myself, I would like to save the money. Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

joytexas

Reaction score
So are you saying that the burned connection point has nothing to do with my lack of power?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is probably the reason for the lack of power. All I am saying is that you can hard wire it and not have to use the brass connectors if you can make it safe.

joytexas

Reaction score
Roger that. I will post again when all is working. Much thanks!

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
If the box took any kind of lightning strike it most likely damaged something else. I have a 3 HP Franklin box and when lightning gets it it usually takes out the relay coil and one of the reset switches. My box has a testing diagram on the backside of the cover which is very helpful. All you need is a ohm meter (I think thats what it is called) to test things. I am an idiot when it comes to this kind of testing so if I can do it anyone can.

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
On second thought your box maybe totally different than mine since it is a 1/2HP. If the box is the problem and buying a new one off the shelf is the quickiest option then keep the old and see if you can rebuild it. I keep a spare rebuilt box and it comes in handy but then again I live on lightning mountain:eek:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
but then again I live on lightning mountain:eek:
I know Florida has a lot of strikes but I'm unable to find US gov. data on this.
Where would your mountain be?:confused:
Or do mountains get more than their share of strikes because they are closer to the (angry) Gods?

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
I live near Union Mills, NC (I know where the hell is that). It is southeast of Asheville. I live in the first range of mountains which rise above the piedmont at an elevation of 2400 feet. Not that high by Blue Ridge standards but since much of the land is flat near me the thunderstorms can get pretty intense. For some reason if lightning hits within 1/2 mile of my pump box it will cook it if the power is on. We had some fierce storms down in Shelby yesterday and I saw a trampoline in a tree as I was riding to work here in Charlotte:eek:.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks