(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: jet pump can't handle the demand

Default jet pump can't handle the demand

i have a 1hp electric jet pump with pressure tank about 200m away from the house... when watering lawn near the house with 100 foot of hose the pump overheats and auto shuts off.... wondering if there is something i can use @ the house or along the line like a inline pump to help stabilize the pressure and make the 1hp pump work less... any suggestions

Default vg

bump please help grass is turning brown

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A pump often can run continuously if it gets enough water. Sounds like you may be trying to draw more water than the well can handle. The water acts as the coolant for the pump, so if you exceed the draw capability of the well, you could starve the pump, and ruin it. You might need to biuld a storage tank, and then pump from there so you'll have enough water for the high draw needed to water the lawn.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

My guess is the pump is starting and stopping too much which will cook the motor. Sounds like Valveman or Speedbump needs to get this guy a cycle stop valve.

Previous member

That would be my guess too. There would be no reason for a jet pump to get hot running a garden hose. But if it's clicking on and off, that could get the motor very hot and shut it down thermally until the overload cools, then start all over again. A Cycle Stop Valve would prevent that from happening.
    Last edited by Terry; 07-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.

I would also check the precharge on the tank.