Can an expert help?

Users who are viewing this thread

northeastguy78

Reaction score
Terry or any SUMP PUMP experts out there please help.

I called several plumbers inquiring of replacing an old sump pump (7 years old) A few plumbers suggested the ZOELLERS brand. I want a backup system in case of power outage so I asked for the complete price with replacing main system, battery back up and a separate backup pump runs off the battery.
The plumber quoted me $1200 and said best he can do is $1000 because it will take 3 to 4 hours doing the job. He also said the back up battery (marine battery) is about $175 so that's why including labor runs about $1200....

Now I saw on lowes.com , they sell Basement Watchdog Combination Primary and Battery Backup Sump Pump System

for $278.... compared to plumbers recommended brand of $1200.... should I opted for the Watchdog or play it safe with the Zoellers.

I don't mind spending the money, but just don't want to be ripped off. At the same time, I want to make sure Zoellers will work 5~8 years like the current one I have (a builders grade but last 7 years so far...)

1. Which route should I go? 1200 zoeller or 278+labor watchdog brand
2. Like the old saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it... should I wait until the current pump gives out?
3. Does it really take 3 to 4 hours to do the job??? all the piping already done.....

thanks much!

James

Attachments

• basement watchdog.jpg
    basement watchdog.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 235
  • basement_watchdog.jpg
    basement_watchdog.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The Zoeller pump is far superior to the Basement Watchdog.

Your best bet is to obtain additional quotes but for installing a new main pump and a battery backup unit I believe you won't do a whole lot better than that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

It would take a very slow plumber for it to require 4 hours to install. Depending on how often the pump runs, the pump material could be a factor. Cast iron pumps are the most durable, but if they do not operate fairly often, they can corrode and seize up. Plastic is not subject to corrosion but can wear out faster if they operate quite often. For backup purposes, since it may NEVER operate, but might always be under water, I would be more comfortable with a plastic pump.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Except most cheapo plastic ones pump at a reduced rate down around 15 GPM...

Take the Zoeller Aquanot II and you have a true 30+ GPM backup pump...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Just make sure that the water level detect switches are set such that the battery pump turns on after the AC operated pump turns on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks