hot tub install, NEC 2005

Users who are viewing this thread

jordonmusser

Reaction score
My city goes by NEC 2005. Few questions... but first what I am doing.

6/3 (3x #6s and a ground) romex from a sub panel in my garage (60amp breaker) above the garage (in the attic) and then outside, down about 5ft to my GFCI/disconect box. I plan to use metal conduit down to the box, it is 6-7ft away from the hot top. The hot tub already has a 6-7 foot pig tail, that is in a flexible PVC stuff. I plan to use a water tight connector on the end of it to go into the side of my disconnect box. I plan to mount the box about 48inches off the ground.

1) From what I understand the 5ft or so of vertical run down to the box, as long as I use sealed adapters(PVC with liquidtight, etc, or metal with a compression join) I can use the "indoor" type wiring. (per another thread on this site). Is this true? I don't seen any other way to transition from indoor to outdoor #6 wire, other wise i would need a huge 30cu-in junction box when the wire first leave the house about 10 feet off the ground to switch to outdoor wire for the remaining short 5ft down.

2)The box is designed as spa disconnect, and has a lockable cover. When standing at the box, i can see the entire access area for the pumps, and about 20% of the tub. Same goes from in the tub, if I was sitting in it I could only see the box directly if I was sitting in the back of it. From what I ready, this could be a "grey" area, but since the box can be locked during servicing it is probably ok. I am kind of forced to do this, or I will have to mount the box a LOT farther and run a LOT of conduit and wire! (hard to explain with out knowing how my lot is laid out).

3) I have a window that is 4.25ft away from the hot tub interior wall. I assume I will need to bond the window. What is the trick to doing that?

4)do i need a "clamp" entering the conduit that will run down from the attic wall, outside to the box?

5) see anything else wrong, or common mistakes people make?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I am not sure about the electricial questions I am sure electricians will be along, but so far as the bonding a window, I have never heard of that.

Cookie

Reaction score
I didn't realize with hot tubs, I know with swimming pools 5 ft horizontal, 12 ft. vertically, at least with some states, CA., ; but, didn't know about bonding a window for a hot tub. What state are you do you mind me asking?

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, hopefully someone will answer the other questions about the other electrical issues for you.

hiloelectric

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.hilo-electric.com
Jordan,

To do the installation correctly you are going to have to install a Jbox in your attic. Then PVC with THHN to the disconnect. A 4 11/16" Metal box 2 1/8" deep, will have the appropriate area needed to junction the wires. Very common box, available anywhere electrical boxes are sold.

NM wire is not allowed to be used where exposed or subject to excessive moisture or dampness. Per 334.12(B)

I wouldn't worry about the window unless the inspector calls you on it. I've never heard of any issues with that.

Cookie I didn't realize with hot tubs, I know with swimming pools 5 ft horizontal, 12 ft. vertically, at least with some states, CA., ; but, didn't know about bonding a window for a hot tub. What state are you do you mind me asking?

Cookie, Hot tubs have to follow the same rules as Pools. Pools, Hot tubs, fountains,spas, hydro massage bathtubs all fall under Article 680 in the NEC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks