jet pump can't handle the demand

Users who are viewing this thread

Blunt22man

Reaction score
i have a 1hp electric jet pump with pressure tank about 200m away from the house... when watering lawn near the house with 100 foot of hose the pump overheats and auto shuts off.... wondering if there is something i can use @ the house or along the line like a inline pump to help stabilize the pressure and make the 1hp pump work less... any suggestions

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pump often can run continuously if it gets enough water. Sounds like you may be trying to draw more water than the well can handle. The water acts as the coolant for the pump, so if you exceed the draw capability of the well, you could starve the pump, and ruin it. You might need to biuld a storage tank, and then pump from there so you'll have enough water for the high draw needed to water the lawn.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My guess is the pump is starting and stopping too much which will cook the motor. Sounds like Valveman or Speedbump needs to get this guy a cycle stop valve.

Speedbump

Reaction score
That would be my guess too. There would be no reason for a jet pump to get hot running a garden hose. But if it's clicking on and off, that could get the motor very hot and shut it down thermally until the overload cools, then start all over again. A Cycle Stop Valve would prevent that from happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks