Cloudy Water Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

statin

Reaction score
I am having a problem with cloudy flakes in my drinking water. I have a Watts Premier reverse osmosis filtration system that supplies filtered water to my refrigerator and a faucet on the kitchen sink. On occasion I will get a hard slightly yellowish flake or chip in my water. This I believe is just a chip of calcium or mineral deposit that broke loose from the system. I don't like this but this is not the problem I am trying to figure out. I have attached some pictures below of the cloudy flakes. I suspect it is part of the filters disintegrating from the RO system but not sure. I don't see the flakes when using only filtered water from the tap (room temp). If ice is involved at all I get the flakes. Its almost as if when the water is frozen the flakes form from small particles joining together. I have RO filtered water running to the refrigeratorn for ice and chilled water. I have a PUR/Whirlpool inline filter on the refrigerator also. I believe it is only a charcoal filter. I did a little experiment and attached photos of each.

The first glass is RO filtered water from the tap (no flakes).

RO%20No%20Freeze%20No%20Ice.JPG

The second glass is Chilled RO Filtered Water Through Refrigerator and PUR/Whirlpool filter (no flakes).

RO%20Water%20Through%20Fridge.JPG

The third glass is RO filtered water from the tap with ice cubes that is also RO filtered water and ran through the PUR/Whirlpool filter (contains flakes)

RO%20Water%20With%20RO%20Ice%20Water.JPG

The fourth glass is only melted ice from RO filtered water and filtered by PUR/Whirlpool filter (contains flakes)

RO%20Ice%20Melted.JPG

Continued in next post due to image limit...........

statin

Reaction score
Post Continue

The fifth glass is RO filtered water taken from the tap (not filtered by PUR/Whirlpool filter) and frozen, then melted (contains flakes)

RO%20Water%20From%20Faucet%20Frozen%20And%20Melted.JPG

The RO filters are less than 3 months old. They are WATTS brand. The PUR/Whirlpool filter is about 2 weeks old. I have a glass if unfiltered tap water freezing and will attach a pic of it when it thaws out to see if it has flakes. So if anyone can give me some suggestions as what is causing the flakes I would appreciate it. We drink out of dark glass or dark Nalgene or stainless sports containers. So we have not noticed it before. I hate to think we have been drinking this crap all along. The only thing making me feel slightly better is that the flakes settle out pretty quick and being the courteous guy I am, I always let my wife get the last drink. :D

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Redo the last test in an airtight tupperware or unbreakable cup that is washed in RO water and rinsed in RO water, sealed, and frozen. Let's see if the source of the contamination is from the freezer air or residual in the glass.

Last edited:

statin

Reaction score
Its been a few years and I actually figured out what the problem was. My ice maker crapped out. I bought a new one and when the old one was out I noticed pitting and flakes of aluminum I could scrape off. Dumped the flakes in the glass and boy they look similar. So maybe you guys should check your ice makers. Looking into them they do take a beating with the freezing and heating cycles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks