Leak in solar panel

Users who are viewing this thread

wanderl1

Reaction score
I have solar panels to heat my pool. They have pinhole leaks. Last year I used aquarium glue to stop the leaks which have re-occurred. What can I use to plug these leaks? The panels appear to be plastic or a similar substance.

Larry

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
Well, first you need to find out WHY the leaks happened in the first place.

As far as plugging the leaks, you need something like this. They usually don't last long though.

rogerd

Reaction score
Website
homesolarpanelscost.net
These leaks keep recurring. Same problem with mine too. I have already tried fixing it twice, but the leak reappeared at another spot in the tubing this time. any one why this happens? My system is quite old - about 15 years old. Do I need to replace it?

cssolar

Reaction score
water leak

If the system is indirect, maybe you could add some car rad weld into ( the non used water part of the system )

Regards Tony cssolar

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Solar pool heaters are NOT indirect, and are usually made of ABS plastic. If it has small individual tubes, you can cut them at the leaks and use John Guest "push on" 3/8" couplings to splice it back together. Otherwise, and especially since it seems to have multiple leaks, either check to see if your panel has a "lifetime" warranty or replace it/them because they are "worn out".

protech

Master plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.protechplumbing.biz
Solar pool heaters are NOT indirect, and are usually made of ABS plastic. If it has small individual tubes, you can cut them at the leaks and use John Guest "push on" 3/8" couplings to splice it back together. Otherwise, and especially since it seems to have multiple leaks, either check to see if your panel has a "lifetime" warranty or replace it/them because they are "worn out".

Actually, it not ABS it's usually polypropylene. I'm not aware of a panel on the market that use can repair with a 3/8"ID cts pushfit fitting.

To the OP: If leaks keep reoccurring, You are probably patching them wrong. Most panel damage is either from freezing or over pressure due to a closed system.
Panels can just start leaking for no reason other than sun exposure after 20 years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks