What's wrong with my pump????

Users who are viewing this thread

jfernow

Reaction score
The pressure switch won't kick on. When done manually switch cuts in and out. When you run flush the toilet it goes from 45psi to 0 in 6 seconds. And if you can get it started it goes from 0 to 50 psi in 6 seconds. Does that mean our bladder is bad in our tank?? Our tank is a welltrol/amtrol model #WX250tk thanks for any help...:confused:

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Pressure Switch

Either you have a bad or failing bladder, or the tank is very low on air. As for the pressure switch I would bet that the switch or the nipple that it's mounted on is clogged with dirt/debris. To check I would turn off breaker at the panel. Then disconnect the wires from the pressure switch and remove the wires. Then un-thread the pressure switch from the nipple. Check the underside of the pressure switch to see if it's clogged. If not I would then un-thread the nipple and check that also.
If that's the problem great, put teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads of the nipple, re-assemble everything and re-connect the electrical wiring the same way it was disconnected. Add an air charge to the tank of 2 psi below the cut-in pressure of the pressure switch. Turn the breaker back on. Pull the little lever on the pressure switch so the pump starts and hold it until it builds 40 psi or so and you should be all set.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
Pressure Switch

Just re-read the part that says and if you can get the pump started. Does it not start everytime you manually turn the switch on? If not then I would bet that you have a pump that's running and then turning off on thermal overload. If that's the case you'll have to pull the pump and replace the motor, and possibly control box if it's a 3 wire pump.
I see this a lot with a tank that has gone bad and gotten completely waterlogged which means the tank has absolutely no drawdown. This is the biggest killer of pumps because the second you call for water in the house the pump has no buffer and it's starting and stopping continously while you're using water. You'd notice the water is pulsating in the house. Starting and stopping is the biggest killer of well pumps. They're rated for continous duty and want to keep running once they've started. That's why a one minute run time is recommended so the motor has a chance to be cooled by the water that is flowing past it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks