cutting into a line to put a ball valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Richb2

Reaction score
I got a shark-bite-like 1/2 ball valve. I need to cut into a copper line to place this in. The ball valve take 1 1/2 inch of pipe in each side and the ball valve in 3 3/4 inches long, so math tells me that if I remove 3/4" of copper pipe, the ball valve should fit perfectly. BUT, the way these shrk-bite connectors work is that you can only push the connector on in one direction.

======= ========
====

Like in this diagram, the sharkbite can go on one side fine, but then how do I get the other side in? If I loosen some of the hangers, I guess there may be a little play in the pipe. Is that the way to do it, or will I spring leaks somewhere else in the line?

Pipedoc

Plumber Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you can get the "play" out of the pipe - no problem. They also make a slip coupling, so you could cut out enough pipe to install the valve and a short travel piece and then install the slip coupling. Why not just sweat in a new valve? I only use the shark bite couplings when I can't get the water to shut down 100%.

Richb2

Reaction score
It is way up in a ceiling with a lot of wood around it in an old house and there is very little room. I don't want to burn down the house. I will try to work with the play since L.wes didn't have a slip coupling anyway.

Now this is going to an outside spigot. I am putting this into the line after the existing leaking ball valve and a drain valve. So there will be no drain valve between this new sharkbite ball valve and the spigot outside. In the winter I plan on shutting down this sharkbite ball valve and leaving the spigot open in the cold air. This should prevent pipes from bursting. Right? Kind of like a frost free silcock. My walls are 18" thick and the are no silcocks big enough.

I just went down there to look at it again. There is no play in that line since less than a foot away there is a t coming off that line and going to the supply of the upstairs sink. So my next idea is to cut out the old leaking ball valve and the drain valve and replace them with the new sharkbite ball valve going to a 3 to 4 inch piece of pex (which I happen to have) and put another sharkbite copper to pex connector on the other side. How does this sound? Like a disaster waiting to happen?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there any way you could loosen the hose bib, pull it out far enough to insert the valve, then push it back? HD had the Sharkbite slip couplings. A plumbing supply store should also have them as might an Ace hardware store. Pay careful attension to the end of the pipe...a burr there can ruin the O-ring. Their deburring tool isn't a bad investment.

Richb2

Reaction score
The hose bib is not the problem. I can loosen it. The issue is that that copper tube going trough the wall has clear caulking around it very heavily caulked. How can I remove this cauking or least get it so I can pull the pipe out?

Richb2

Reaction score
We got it going. Luckily there were two of us and one has a brother-in-law who is a plumber. Ended up pulling the bibb back through the wall and then pushing is back in. I'd rather step on a nail than hire a plumber.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Funny thing is Rich is that job would have taken me less than an hour,and I
would have cut out the old ball valve and soldered a new one in without burning any wood.And cost you less than the time you spent trying to do
it on your own.

Richb2

Reaction score
I don't know where you guys live, but I recently had a really bad experience in NJ. I have had some good experiences.

>>Funny,
>>I doesn't bother me at all to drop off my cars and vans and have someone >>else work on them.

Believe me, I would much rather have hired someone if I could have. But you know what, it really isn't brain surgery.

hhcibtpaun

Reaction score
Believe me, I would much rather have hired someone if I could have. But you know what, it really isn't brain surgery.

Not brain surgery, so why the need to post?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread.

Richb2,

You seem to have a bit of an attitude, with people that are trying to help. So, you had a bad experience with some random plumber. I would bet the random plumber was not helping us common folk out with free plumbing help. Let me repeat that....FREE HELP. Try to show a little more appreciation. Everyone is here to help. I have had ton's of help ans appreciate every little tidbit.

Grow up and show some appreciation.

Thanks...Mike

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
not brain surgery, so why the need to post?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread.

Richb2,

you seem to have a bit of an attitude, with people that are trying to help. So, you had a bad experience with some random plumber. I would bet the random plumber was not helping us common folk out with free plumbing help. Let me repeat that....free help. Try to show a little more appreciation. Everyone is here to help. I have had ton's of help ans appreciate every little tidbit.

Grow up and show some appreciation.

Thanks...mike

thank you!!!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
It's not rocket surgery...

This guy thought the same thing:
three_stooges3_2.jpg

Last edited:

Richb2

Reaction score
Yes. Thanks for your help. I help people for a living, and as such, never expect a thank you. But if you need to hear a thank you to stroke your ego, here we go, THANK YOU.

tlarson

Reaction score
Ok, I rarely post, but can't resist after reading this thread. I've done many small plumbing repairs, remodels for family and friends and plumbed three complete houses on my own. I'm no pro, but can handle copper, PEX and DWV. I have NEVER learned as much as I have at this site, and the help comes from pros who offer their guidence, advice, and suggestions FREE. Sometimes the plumbers here are a bit opinionated and not always in the best of moods, but get over it. They are very helpful and it's not costing anyone a penny.

richb2: Pay attention here. Saying THANK YOU is not to stroke someone's ego. It's simply the right thing to do. Who cares if you don't need thanks....act a bit more maturely. It's called getting along and exhibiting good social manners. Hello.......?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's not brain surgery.

And sometimes it's fun just to see if you can do something new.

I will try a lot of things once.
More then once a lot of times.

I imagine that if you had a steady "go to" guy, he would have gotten the work.
I had a few guys for certain things like that.
My favorite tile guy went the Reno to work.
My glass door guy disappeared, now that one was pretty mysterious.
The last conversation I had with him, he was saying his second wife's son had just gotten out of prison, seems it was a surprise to him that she had a son. But he was going to surprise them. Six months later when I called for a door, the woman that answered said there was nobody by that name. Yeah, that was strange.
When you have someone good, it's nice when they stick around.

I can install kit doors as long as they aren't neo-angle.
I won't do neo-angle doors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks