Need help with submersible pump/motor selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump installer wants to use a rope or a cable, then he is not confident with PVC. If a rope or cable comes loose, it piles up on top of the pump, and can prevent you from ever getting the pump out of the well.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have heard of a few problems with the threaded belled ends not wanting to unscrew when you need it. Other than that 120 is plenty strong and a lot of people are using it. Shouldn't be a problem.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Speedbump and Valveman are your best designers!

Valveman said: I think I would look around for a pump man with a little more education. First there is no way a CSV can "deadhead" a pump. Anybody who thinks that, and also thinks a VFD is better than a CSV, still has a lot to learn about pump systems.

There is only two reasons a legitimate pump company would sell you a VFD. Either they are not educated on how pump systems really work, or they know exactly how they work and are only out to get as much of your money as they can.

Porky, MGWC
NGWA Certified "Master Ground Water Consultant"

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
First there is no way a CSV can "deadhead" a pump. Anybody who thinks that, and also thinks a VFD is better than a CSV, still has a lot to learn about pump systems.

There is only two reasons a legitimate pump company would sell you a VFD. Either they are not educated on how pump systems really work, or they know exactly how they work and are only out to get as much of your money as they can.

Porky, MGWC
NGWA Certified "Master Ground Water Consultant"

What he said!!

They don't push variable speed stuff on you so hard so that you will save money, they push it on you because it makes them more money.

Nofears67

Reaction score
I have heard of a few problems with the threaded belled ends not wanting to unscrew when you need it. Other than that 120 is plenty strong and a lot of people are using it. Shouldn't be a problem.

Is sch 120 pvc always threaded belled ends or is it sometimes solvent joint too? I want to make sure the pump company uses the correct type.

Nofears67

Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverside67

3. What amperage 3 pole circuit breaker should I install in the subpanel to feed the 60GS75 pump/motor? The voltage is 230V.

Valveman's response
12 amp motor, book says 30 amp breaker.

I have decided to go with the Goulds 40GS50 due to cost and weight.

Will I still need a 30 amp breaker for a 5 hp motor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks