What is smallest pvc bend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Canton

Plumber
Reaction score
I came off a 4" waste line which was laying @ a angle going out side. I came off the 4" with a 4 x 3 Y then to a 45 but it isn't quite straight due to the 4" slant, I tried the 1/16 bend but its a little off as well. This is all for a basement bathroom, I might be able to make up the difference on the 3" run to the toilet. However I do think if there was a 1/32 bend it would be perfect.

Plumguy

Reaction score
I've never installed 4x3 wye that needed that type of bend! Between rolling the wye and 45's you should be able to get you're angle and maybe installing an ocassional 22 1/2

Archibald Tuttle

Reaction score
NFN and maybe in the better never than late category but to rekindle the argument for fun, I'd say right off plumbguy. I agree you can usually roll the wye and reangle a standard 1/8 bend street fitting and voila, but I do plenty of trench work twhere you can make that kind of bend over a 20 footer no problem but maybe the 20 footer got buried yesterday with only the end showing (or maybe you had to dig for the end) and its off and you are running to a downpipe fitting or riser on a short shot up against the house, and or indoor take off is needed close to fittings that are already glued in placed (usually by previous imaginative plumber, but occasionally on accident by yours truly) where I constantly want 1/32 bend (i.e. 11.25 deg.) to make a pipe run straight or reconform to the rest of an install. They are available but only in pressure rated fittings and I have to special order them and it is an incredible PIA. But when needed, there is nothing better. Found this thread while looking for a supplier to order my next dozen because I'm down to one and always hopeful I'll find somebody who doesn't drag their feet and complain about ordering these for me but just lets me put them in my damn cart without whining. I'm also looking for a software engineer who can figure out how to designate searchs for inch or degree fittings without using characters that are also script operaters. Trying to find an 11/16-18 tap and die, try searching that along with 1/32 4" etc.

good cheer

brian

Archibald Tuttle

Reaction score
and for your next challenge

11/16 x 18 tap got it with a single click

you are right, that wasn't my best example although one wonders if they're getting the fullest sample of results, but try for a
1 and 1/2" deep x 4 and 11/16" electric box. That didn't go one click for me.

And, more to the point, can you point me at a supplier for 1/32 bends? The problem there isn't only the fraction, but that they aren't popular or prevalent. They do exist in a pressure style Sch. 40 fitting. I've bought them from a specialty house before. But I keep finding tantalizing references to the notion that they are available in DWV but I can't find anyone selling them.

brian

PS - also looking for pipe extensions. I've bought them before but there doesn't seem to be a trade name or reliable way to find them. One common format is a fitting that has a spigot that actually fits inside the pipe, not into a hub, and has a pipe sized nipple formed. They are made for extending pipes that are cutoff flush with concrete floors. I'm actually looking for a fitting that is a standard spigot by hub or male/female, but I don't even know what the ones for the concrete floor extensions are called so that I can describe those by a term of art or find them easily. This kind of male female extension fitting that is about the length of a standard female by female coupling is available in threaded specialty fittings but I am having a devil of a time chasing it down in PVC. (4" is this weeks problem).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually it is usually the other way around. I have never seen pressure fittings in other than 45 and 90 degrees, although they might be made. 1/32 bends were more common with cast iron systems because they were less tolerant of "cocking". PVC and ABS pipe and fittings have a certain degree of "slop" in the joints so they do not have to be in perfect alignment to seal and not leak, thus making a 1/32 bend redundant in most cases. For this reason, although companies do make them, almost no one would stock them, because they MIGHT sell ONE every ten years or so. Instead of looking for a 4 11/16" box, try a 4 3/4" one. You might have better luck.

Archibald Tuttle

Reaction score
odd sizes

Instead of looking for a 4 11/16" box, try a 4 3/4" one. You might have better luck.

If you can find a 4 and 3/4 one, all power to you. Don't ask me why the convention is that the next size box after 4" is 4 and 11/16 and not 4 and 3/4 or better yet 5". Here is a good link. My local supply house gouged me for the 1 and 1/2" deep. Which is an unusual item because usually if you want the additional cubic inches of the bigger box, you want it deep as well for the same reason. However I had a depth limited application. My supply house got $12 bucks a box and found 'em here today for $5. When I searched last week I found prices somewhat equivalent to the $1. Took a couple more searches today and obviously I got different results than I got last week. It isn't that you can't find stuff, it is the sense that you have accurately found the bulk of listings that drives me nuts about how you search for fractional products.

Actually it is usually the other way around. I have never seen pressure fittings in other than 45 and 90 degrees, although they might be made. 1/32 bends were more common with cast iron systems because they were less tolerant of "cocking". PVC and ABS pipe and fittings have a certain degree of "slop" in the joints so they do not have to be in perfect alignment to seal and not leak, thus making a 1/32 bend redundant in most cases. For this reason, although companies do make them, almost no one would stock them, because they MIGHT sell ONE every ten years or so.

I think folks make due with the 11 and 1/4 bends but if they were more readily available they would sell more. I don't of course mean on par with the more traditional fittings. Already pay a big premium for st. 22s which are often the most handy but , for some bizarre reason the big box sellers won't go there. They stock 22s but not st. 22s.

As for 1/32 bends, interesting what you say about pressure fittings. may be true in smaller sizes, but when you get into the bigger sizes the joining tolerances seem tighter to me than DWV so you can't get away with flexing the coupling on a glue joint so you would need more fine sizes so I always thought it sensible that they were available in pressure. That said, I spoke with Spears yesterday,( don't ask me why I can't get any of the local distributors to get the information for me, the idea that local suppliers have knowledge and industry connections that provide you value justifying the usually higher cost you pay to businesses with bricks and mortar on main st. is really strained when it comes to finding this unusual stuff. I have to go look for it myself.) They can fabricate 1/32 DWV bends (heat fabricated, they heat the pipe bell the ends and bend it to 11 and 1/4 deg (part #3711-040) . They can do any bend up to about 30 degs. with 2 or 3 day lead time. Because they are made custom like this they can make street fittings as well (part #3711-040-13). I found that out in 15 minutes on the phone and it has taken my supplier a day and a half and they still haven't gotten me a price.

These guys are probably busy because they supply heavier infrastructure piping, they do not supply standard smaller piping for residential light commercial. 4" is the smallest they have. So they are no doubt busy soaking up the stimulus dollars indirectly but cautious about hiring given the sporadic nature so they are overstretched, but I get the same brush off from folks who are slow. that's what i get for being retentive.

Brian

PS . they can also make pipe extensions with the same fabrication techniques although they don't have a name or part number for these. forgot to ask whether they can squeeze the pipe to make flush extensions although those are manufactured by someone, I just can't think of what they are called or how to find them. Any help?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks