Sillcock replacement (with pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

pjsammy

Reaction score
Hi all,

The frost free sillcock (B&K Quartermaster) in the back of our house is not working. When I turn it on, there's no water. I've tried to mess with it a little (started another thread on the subject w/o any replies), so I'm going to just replace the whole darn thing and see what happens.

Question: Based on the attached pictures, the sillcock appears to be threaded to the supply pipe. So I should just be able to unscrew it and screw a new one on, right? I don't need to cut the old one off or solder the new one on?

Just want to double check.

Thanks!!!

note: we moved to this home in Dec 08, so I have no idea what, if anything, was done to winterize the faucet or if it was even working before.

Attachments

• DSCN0999 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0999 (Large).jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,438
  • DSCN0997 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0997 (Large).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,472

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Looks like that's teflon tape on the connection...yes you can unscrew it. You'll want to probably use two wrenches...one to hold the pipe and a second one to unscrew the silcock.

pjsammy

Reaction score
thanks!

The teflon tape is what made me think I could unscrew it as well. Appreciate the confirmation from somebody who knows better than I :)

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are getting no water it may be the brass valve in the basement causing the problem and you can determine that when you remove the hose bib...

pjsammy

Reaction score
I was thinking that could be the case as well. When I turn the valve I can't determine if it's allowing water through or not. So that's absolutely something I need to check when the sillcock is removed. I really hope that's not the case b/c at that point I'll need to make a phone call I think.

What could make that valve go bad? I assume it can't be that old since it was likely added when the Quartermaster was.

Nate R

Reaction score
Isn't that a drain on the side of the brass valve? If the valve is installed in the correct direction, you could use that to tell if the brass valve works or not before you do anything else.

pjsammy

Reaction score
Isn't that a drain on the side of the brass valve? If the valve is installed in the correct direction, you could use that to tell if the brass valve works or not before you do anything else.

how would I do that? I'm basically a newbie when it comes to plumbing stuff. I haven't done much other than replacing a few bath/kitchen sink faucets and a toilet.

thank you!

Nate R

Reaction score
Well, that little drain is usually used to drain out any water between the valve and sillcock for winter, I believe.

So, open that little drain with the brass valve closed. If the drain is on the sillcock side of the valve, it should just drain out the residual water. If it's spurting 60 PSI water, then the brass valve isn't working. :D

pjsammy

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't even realize those valves had drains on them until you mentioned it.

I'll try it (slowly and carefully) tonight and see what happens. I really hope nothing comes out so I don't have to replace the stop valve!

preemptive follow-up question: What happens if you open that drain before the winter to drain the pipe and then never close it (ie, the drain is left open all winter). If the drain is already open and then I open/close the stop valve, would anything happen (ie, water shooting out at 60 psi)? I don't think I explained that very well....

Nate R

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't even realize those valves had drains on them until you mentioned it.

I'll try it (slowly and carefully) tonight and see what happens. I really hope nothing comes out so I don't have to replace the stop valve!

preemptive follow-up question: What happens if you open that drain before the winter to drain the pipe and then never close it (ie, the drain is left open all winter). If the drain is already open and then I open/close the stop valve, would anything happen (ie, water shooting out at 60 psi)? I don't think I explained that very well....

I think I got it.

The drain is just a hole in the valve body. So if you open the stop valve with the drain open, water will come shooting out. I've made this mistake before. :D

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That valve is a redundancy. Frost free faucets shut the water off inside the house so that valve is really not needed. However, since it is there, leave it alone. As long as the frost free faucet has a slight pitch to the outside, it will drain when you turn it off as long as you do not have a hose connected to it. Very important to remove the hose in the fall. The red handled valve has a knurled knob on the side. This is to release pressure when the valve is shut off as long as the outlet is on the "off" side of the installation. If it's on the "on" side, it will release water anytime it is opened. Definitely use two wrenches to remove and replace the frost free, otherwise you will most likely twist the supply line pipes and that is definitely an undesirable thing to do.:eek: It is fortunate that you have easy and open access to the pipe connection. This is not always the case.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

WE might question your diagnosis of the problem, since it would take a very unusual problem to not get ANY water, even a drop, from the hose faucet.

pjsammy

Reaction score
WE might question your diagnosis of the problem, since it would take a very unusual problem to not get ANY water, even a drop, from the hose faucet.

Very valid point. I couldn't find another case online where this was the issue. When I talked to B&K customer service (they have a lifetime warranty I was told), the service rep was convinced it was a plumbing problem b/c when their faucets go bad they leak rather than "freeze" up.

I tried to open the drain on the valve just a tad and some water did shoot out. So I think the issue is not at the valve. I've fiddled with the sillcock itself (taken it apart as best I could and didn't see any obvious issues). So I have no idea whatsoever. The water line that feeds this faucet comes off the the main cold supply to the water heater and supply to our 1st flr bathroom (both of which seem to be fine). So I have no idea what it could be other than the sillcock that's messed up. Given that it's only about $25 to replace it and it's threaded on, I figure it's worth doing that and seeing what happens.

I haven't addressed the one in the front of our house yet, since it's not quite as easy access, but I would imagine it's not working either. Given the crazy lady who lived here previously, I assume things just won't work and then get to be happily surprised if I get lucky :)

Thanks again for the help, guys! I wasn't able to pick up a new sillcock for the repair this weekend since all of the lowes around here are out of stock. Gotta look elsewhere. Any suggestions on brands/stores/websites?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks