Tee into sewer cleanout riser?

Users who are viewing this thread

davidc

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can help answer my question, thanks in advance. My question is whether is is ok to tee into a sewer cleanout to add a new sewer drain line.

We are installing a backyard BBQ sink, and the best place for me to connect my new 4" ABS line to the existing sewer is at the cleanout next to the sidewalk in the front yard. This is the only accessible point of the sewer without cutting into my concrete driveway.

My sewer main at this point is approx 5 feet under current ground level. But, since my yard has a good slope from back to front, I only need to be at 18 inches below ground at this point in my new sewer grade.

I will check with my city building dept, but for now, is there any reason that prevents me from teeing into the vertical cleanout pipe at the level that works best for me? I don't want to excavate down 5 feet if I don't have to.

Thanks.

David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

The two things that might prevent it would be if the city does not allow it, or if the cleanout is a "two way" cleanout without a definite sweep in the downstream direction.

Plumguy

Reaction score
It is not legal here regardless of type of cleanout (end,dandy). But, maybe you'll get the answer you're looking for at city hall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks