check valve placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Msgale

Reaction score
can a one inch swing check valve be placed in a vertical pipe and still worK? Or do they have to be horizontal?

It's for near-boiler piping, to prevent domestic hot water heater usage improperly getting hot water to the house hydronic system in summer

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A little more info would be required. There should not be any cross-coupling between hydronic and potable water. Do you have say a demand type system in your boiler you shut off for the summer and use a tank instead? I'd consider just using a valve(s) to shut one off and open the other.

Check valves can (normally) go horizontal (properly oriented) or vertical. If this is for potable water, you'll need probably a bronze, SS, or plastic approved for potable water use. Being hot may create some other problems.

Msgale

Reaction score
this is for the water heated by the mod-con boiler in a hydronic system. Now, its a primary/secondary set of loops, one zone only.

The revision is to add an indirect water heater. For summer use of the water heater, i need check valve to protect against boiler-heated water going thru the house radiators.

none of this is potable water. the heated hot wster for human use is on a separate set of pipes

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Indirect water heater. Check valve goes after DHW pump before the tee where the return from the sysytem goes into the boiler. On the verticle is fine with a swing check.
Might want to wait for Thatguy, nhmaster or HJ to weigh in with their opinions.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you need is a flow check valve which is not like a regular swing or ball check in that it has a weighted gate. Check out www.taco-hvac.com What you probably want is a Taco 219.

Msgale

Reaction score
i can't find 219 in taco, is ther another name?

tried the web site, no luck

Msgale

Reaction score
OK, found the 219...

How is that different or better than a plain swing check valve?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The check in a standard swing check is not heavy enough to always stay closed against thermal migration. A flow check has a heavier check assembly.

Msgale

Reaction score
ok, sounds reasonable, thank you , all of you, for the info.
I love this board

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks