Gas protection service

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have gas service throughout my home. Gas boiler/HW, stove, dryer. I want to make sure I am fully protected. What are the concerns I should watch out for.

I have carbon monoxide/smoke detectors on every floor and hall. What exactly is the CM detector detecting. I presume it is poorly vented emissions. Correct me if I am wrong.

As for gas leaks, is smell the only detection?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Chris

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas service protection

Yes by smell

but you could also have a plumber install a earthquake safety valve on
the main gas supply after the meter !

Note these are now required on all new or remodel houses in so. Calif.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Carbon monoxide could build up if the flue pipe for a gas burning appliance became blocked, or was improperly installed, or if the appliance was not combusting correctly for whatever reason. Because CO is odorless, that is why there are often fatalities.

Gas you can smell, of course, but the "nose" quickly becomes accustomed. You can find natural gas detectors, and if you wanted to go further, you can install heat sensors in areas where a fire might break out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

The biggest reason for a CO detector is to prevent fumes from a cracked heat exchanger. Those fumes would enter the air stream and be circulated by the unit's blower. External fumes are also a possibility, but those would be detected by units in the equipment room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks