bath room remodel ran into a problem with a tub drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
i'm redoing my only bathroom and i;ve ran into a snag.. originally it was a 30" tub.. old cast iron heavy thing.. anyway i replaced it with a 32" wide jacuzzi tub. i replaced all teh subflooring as well... i go to make the cutout of teh drainage system form teh tub and come to find out that the cutout has a floor joist running right through the middle of it. before i cut ANYTHING i figured i'd ask and see what you all say... it runs dead center under the tub.. so i'm kind of afriad to cut a chunk out of it to run teh drain.. any ideas? or will taking a piece out of it be ok? i dont; plan on cuttign all the way through it.. just taking a few inches off the top.. it's a 2x8.. one end sits on the main beam under the center of the house.. and there is an 8ft span to a second beam that i installed to correct some settling issues.. any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

What kind of drain are you using? Many of them can be installed off center of the tub and piped to the proper location for the overflow opening.

Reaction score
the drain hole is already in the tub.. and it's on the right side center..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The question was not where the drain hole is, but rather what kind of drain assembly are you using? If it is a push/pull or similar and it is constructed of schedule 40 pipe and fittings then it can usually be offset to the existing drain location. Tubular and lever operated drains cannot be, or rather usually do not work out well doing it. Although a cable operated drain, such as Watco's will work after being offset.

Reaction score
oh now i see what your saying.. i'm using s toe touch style drain.. and i'm now going to build it out of sch 40 pipe and build an offset into it. i still have to trim on the joist a littel but it's better than usign a straight drain

Reaction score
well i bought a gerber drain "kit" that uses sch40 pipe and i'm going to construct my own drain to go around the joist..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks