(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How to fill drywall gap?

Question How to fill drywall gap?

I'm installing a new bathtub and had to bring one wall closer by sistering some new studs into the wall. After putting the Denshield on, I of course now have a gap at the edge of it and my old wall. I have some corner bead to go on the surface, but how should I fill this gap?

See photo!

Parry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

I'm not too good with drywall and such but I would've run the board 90* from what you did and stacked the sheets. That way the length would've been enough to reach the end of your wall.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Default wall

Unless you are going to install an additional sheet of material over that one, you do not have the tub installed correctly. The tub goes against the studs and the wall material comes down against it and over the lip around the tub.

The photo is decieving. The tub is against the studs. The tub has multiple lips which is what you're seeing.

Any gap like that will probably fail and show cracking in that humid environment no matter how you patch it. I'd pull off the drywall to the left to the nearest joint/corner and rerock to a flush joint.

Yup...rerock to the corner...the gap is to large...you could cut at the 2nd stud in , on ctr., and then run to the corner but for the trouble I would just do the whole end of the tub...