Can't remove handle hub on Moen Monticello 2 handle faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

jaobrien6

Reaction score
The plastic part inside my Moen Monticello 2 handle faucet broke, and the handle came off. I got the replacement part, but I have to unscrew the bell-shaped handle hub in order to replace the part. The problem is, it won't unscrew, it just spins, and the chrome escutcheon just spins with it. Nothing I try seems to be able to hold that bottom piece in place.

Anyone have any suggestions? At this point, I'll try anything, even if it ruins the chrome finish on the hub or escutcheon. Replacing them would be cheaper than hacksawing this thing apart and buying a whole new faucet (I'm getting frustrated, can you tell?). I already tried using pliers to hold the escutcheon in place while using a strap wrench on the handle hub, but nothing seems to get a good enough grip on the escutcheon to keep it from spinning.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly, grealy appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is a widespread, you may have to hold the valve body from underneath. ( It may already be damaged). If it is not a widespread, the ball should just unscrew. You can find a diagram on moen.com

monticello-handle-removal-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jaobrien6

Reaction score
It is not a widespread, it is a 4" model. I already tried unscrewing it, and it doesn't unscrew. I went to a local plumbing supply house (where I got the replacement parts), and they took one apart for me to show me how it comes apart. I also found the instructions and parts list on moen.com. The problem is that there's this small escutcheon with threads on it that seems to be stuck. I don't think this was ever meant to be tightened down very hard (the instructions just show it hand tight). I think I need to figure out a way to grip the escutcheon while unscrewing the hub. I just cant get a grip on it with anything.

Thanks!
John

jaobrien6

Reaction score
Well, I finally got it apart. I just couldn't get a strong enough grip on the escutcheon, even with vise grips. I finally drilled a hole through the escutcheon and fed some wire from a coat hanger through the hole to give me something to grip better. Came right apart after that. Now I guess I've got to see if I can get a replacement escutcheon from moen.

John

mpsargent

Reaction score
duct tape is the answer, or was for me.

I know it sounds crazy but after reading this thread (and having the same problem) it cam to me, Duct Tape.

I took 8 pieces of duct tape and placed them around the "bulb/bell" that houses the faucet handle pieces. the tape only went around 3/4 of the way (to allow for easy removal later). I then took my largest vise grips, got a hold and turned. The tape was strong enough and thick enough to keep the pliers from maring the finish. It also provided enough "stickyness" to get a firm grip for twisting.

I then went to all of the other faucets (home builder put the same in every lav.) and did the same and then hand tightened them back down.

Hope this helps.
--Mike
PS. if you have to by the replacement parts (if the handle snaps off, kids...) search online (my part number was 97556, pre 4/1/02), the price is much better then you get from Moen).

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Moen keeps me employed

I'm heading out right now to replace, not repair an 875 series Moen KS faucet.

The backflow diverter is wore out leaking down through the cabinet into the basement below.
Was able to diagnose over the phone since she stated it never leaks when water is off.
Told her to pull the pullout spray to eliminate that connection in the body that mimics
the same sometimes.

Told her I can't get that diverter piece and she opted for entire replacement, a Delta.

She also stated the handle assembly was getting very difficult to turn over time.

That's a cartridge I don't have to worry about straining myself to get out as well.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Damn, I'm good

Hit this one right on the nail, 14 miles away.

20307001.jpg

Has the trademark damage of the support bracket, I couldn't take this old Moen faucet back home to get that plastic sleeve off the body; from the way it looks, it doesn't come off.

If that is the case then you can't replace these newer 875 series faucets.

In the inside of the faucet body (chrome outside) you could see where this faucet was leaking for nearly over a year, not a couple/few days like the customer was thinking; it just got worse is all.

Da Cha-Ching!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Marazoni

Reaction score

I know it sounds crazy but after reading this thread (and having the same problem) it cam to me, Duct Tape.

I took 8 pieces of duct tape and placed them around the "bulb/bell" that houses the faucet handle pieces. the tape only went around 3/4 of the way (to allow for easy removal later). I then took my largest vise grips, got a hold and turned. The tape was strong enough and thick enough to keep the pliers from maring the finish. It also provided enough "stickyness" to get a firm grip for twisting.

I then went to all of the other faucets (home builder put the same in every lav.) and did the same and then hand tightened them back down.

Hope this helps.
--Mike
PS. if you have to by the replacement parts (if the handle snaps off, kids...) search online (my part number was 97556, pre 4/1/02), the price is much better then you get from Moen).
I just had to let you know (8 years after your posting) how much that solution meant to me. I have tried EVERYTHING and combed the internet for weeks. I think I was actually getting depressed because I had nothing new to try. Then, this posting popped up. The duct tape worked wonderfully!!! I only had to use 5 layers. But, once the duct tape was on, the hub unscrewed very easily. Amazing!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

bill2174

Reaction score

Hope this helps.
--Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the tip on the duct tape. I read forums like this all the time, but never sign up and post. After struggling with a bell that was frozen and simply wouldn't rotate, I found your post and the duct tape did the trick. Used 8 layers like you suggested, and not a scratch on the bell. The channel locks gave me the leverage I needed to get the darn bell off. The left side came off easily by hand, but the right side was frozen on there. Just had to take a couple of minutes to say thanks for your post.

Now on to the next challenge of removing the plastic cartridge retaining nut that's frozen as well. Must have some corrosion or something on that side that's gummed up all the works.

Thanks again!
Bill

Mfingjones

Reaction score
Have not tried the fix yet but I am seeing posts about people buying spare parts. why are you buying them when Moen will send them to you for free?

Mfingjones

Reaction score

Hope this helps.
--Mike

This totally worked for me!!! thank you for the awesome idea!

Venky Venkatraman

Reaction score

Hope this helps.
--Mike

I would just about ready to give up before I found this duct tape solution posted over a decade ago. Worked like magic and the hub was off within a minute! Thank you, Mike!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks