GE Smart Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hello all-

I need to replace the o-rings that make the seal between the Bypass Valve and the softener on my GE Smart Water system. The problem I am having is that I can figure out how to remove the clips that secure the bypass valve. Is there a special tool needed or can they be removed with a screw driver or pliers?

I bought new clips in case I break one but I can't get them to budge :confused:

Attached is a pic of the clip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Clip WS60X10004.jpg
    Clip WS60X10004.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,883

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. I'll take a look. I assumed it would be the o-rings, I guess I was wrong.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The key is to relieve the pressure and you cannot easily do that if you have already put the softener into bypass mode. Turn off the water to the house and open a faucet, then remove the clips and put it into bypass before turning the water back on.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks for that 'key' hj. I'm going to pick up a new bypass valve before I take it apart.

Phillbo

Reaction score
I ordered a new valve but it's going to take a few days to get it. The leak is bad enough to need to keep the unit in bypass until I can do the swap. Do I need to unplug it or is it OK for the cycle to run each night while in bypass?

thanks guys!

Phillbo

Reaction score
Thanks... I don't know it regens nightly. I just assumed it was a set time. Thats why I'm asking the pros... I don't know jack about plumbing :)

Last edited:

Phillbo

Reaction score
Hey guys, one more dumb question. Do I need to lube the o-rings when I do the bypass valve swap ? I've got some good quality o-ring lube I use on my pool equipment.

Yes or No on the lube? I figure a little lube would never hurt anything but just checking.

I expect the part to show up in the next couple days.

Phillbo

Reaction score
The lube I have says it's formulated with DuPont chemical resistant Flouropolymers.. I guess I need to hit ACE for a small tube of silicone lube.

Thanks

Last edited:

jdeweese

Reaction score
Did the new bypass fix it???

I have the same problem with my GE water softener. I have tried new o rings and silcon based grease. Nothing seems to stop the leap. The softner is only 5 years old. The bypass has no visible damage. The brown inside the intake is from the mineral build up, but I can wipe it away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Phillbo

Reaction score
I plan to replace my bypass this weekend.. Do you recommend that I use Thread Seal Tape on the threads or not ?

The bypass has no visible damage. The brown inside the intake is from the mineral build up, but I can wipe it away.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just FYI.. My bypass showed no sign of damage either but it only had the brown build up on the side that was leaking. Take that for what it's worth but I'd say these guys are spot on when they say you need to replace the valve. My unit is about 5 years old as well.

Last edited:

Phillbo

Reaction score
The valve showed up on my door step. took 10 minutes to swap out and the leak is gone..

Thanks guys for your guidance..

The trick about turning off the water and bleeding the pressure made all the difference.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks