Cast iron fitting installed in cast iron soil pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
As a long time reader I have gained a lot of information from this site. Now I have a question that will hopefully be answered. If it has been addressed elsewhere previously please let me know.

I am adding a cast iron 4" x 4" x 3" upright wye (new Charlotte Pipe) in the 4" vertical cast iron soil stack (approx 60 years old) that runs from the basement floor up through the second floor & then exits through roof. Other than being embedded in the basement concrete floor it was only supported by the pipe running through a 3/4" piece of wood that wrapped around underneath a hub on the first floor. I added a riser clamp on first & second floor. After measuring the the pipe & wye it is apparent that a 4" cast iron to 4" copper coupling is needed (thanks to Terry on this - picked up out of a reply on different thread). Intend on using Mission Rubber CK-44.

My question is how much should be cut out of the soil stack. If the wye is 8" then how much should be cut out? I notice that the couplings have 1/8"± ridge in the middle where the two pieces of pipe meet - so does that mean 8 1/4" cut out? Also, what about future settling on the 2½+ stories of pipe above it. I realize that the riser clamps should support the weight, but won't there still be some settling thus squeezing/pinching the middle ridges in the couplings?

I decided to use the cast iron wye instead of PVC because of concern of the weight that if there is any settling that PVC may not be able to support the settled weight.

Thanks,

Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Y

Why, if it is a cast iron fitting into a cast iron stack would you need a copper to cast iron coupling, and how would you make it fit? After this amount of time and unless you have a very unusual stack with NO connections to it, there will be NO settling, period.

mission-cp200.jpg

They make these in all sizes and for all pipes, which makes transitions to different diameter pipes easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

web_surfer

Reaction score
HJ,

Using the Copper to CI fitting because the new CI fitting has a larger outside diameter than the old CI stack. As a result the Fernco CI to PL, XH CI fitting currently have one end fits the new fitting snug, but other end is way to large for the old pipe. There is quite a bit of excess rubber regardless of which end is used on the old CI.

Matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cast iron

Well, even the thinnest cast iron is MUCH larger than copper tubing. So you are going to have to stretch that copper coupling and the band is going to be "tapered" to cover it. You need a CP-44 which is which is ordinary "cast iron" by XH cast iron.

Last edited:

web_surfer

Reaction score
HJ

Thanks for the info.

Going back to my original question though - how much do I need to cut out of the soil stack for the 8" wye? 8¼", 8½", more, less?

Thanks,
Matt

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Cast Iron Tie-In

Usually 1/8 inch per joint, I would fudge that a little bit due to cast iron known for being uneven. The Fernco or Mission coupling has to be ordered for the types of pipe you are connecting together, and then they will fit correctly. :)

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks