GRUNDFOS recirculating installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Handiman

Reaction score
Just got a new water heater and the plumber insisted that all recirculating pumps should now be installed to recirculate hot water down at the drain valve instead of on top of the water heater. Is this the best place for the GRUNDFOS, b/c I think their website says to install at the top of the water heater.

BTW it is a 20+ year old GRUNDFOS UP15-18SU and was wondering what the lifespan of these things are? I don't have a timer on it so it runs constantly. Now debating if I should just invest in a new pump or add a timer to this existing one. Plumber installed shutoff valves on both sides of the pump.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Just got a new water heater and the plumber insisted that all recirculating pumps should now be installed to recirculate hot water down at the drain valve instead of on top of the water heater. Is this the best place for the GRUNDFOS, b/c I think their website says to install at the top of the water heater.

BTW it is a 20+ year old GRUNDFOS UP15-18SU and was wondering what the lifespan of these things are? I don't have a timer on it so it runs constantly. Now debating if I should just invest in a new pump or add a timer to this existing one. Plumber installed shutoff valves on both sides of the pump.

Most manufacturer recommendations I've seen tie it into the bottom of the water heater, I've also designed quite a few that tie into the cold water line supplying the heater.

As mentioned above 20 years is awesome, you must have really good clean water. While you're at it with the timer you might want to pick up an aquastat, no sense circulating water that may be maintaining temp.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

The connection to the water heater can be at either location. The pump should always have had both valves and a check valve. Use a timer and close the valve BETWEEN the pump and the heater until it just maintains the temperature of the returning water. This will maintain the water temperature, save energy, and reduce erosion wear on the water lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks