Why do Americans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
...sometimes have metal things that stick up about an inch or two at the bottom of their roofs, about 6-12 inches up the roof from the gutter.

What are these things? I have never seen them anywhere else before.

They look quite useful, if only I knew what they were.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Dave's on the right track - intended to keep snow and ice from sliding off the roof onto an unsuspecting passerby. You see them around here once in a while, mostly on metal roofs on commercial buildings.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
It's funny i want the opposite to happen, i would like something to get snow off my roof.

many-feet-of-snow-removal-by-Simonds.jpg

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
No thank god, but sometimes in winter it feels like it and i don't want to be up there doing that.
I get sick of snowblowing my driveway.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Just look at that dreadful ice dam. I'd like to go up to him and tell him that he needs to insulate his attic.

Do you think he'd thank me for doing that?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
things

They are "squirrel deflectors" sold by the gypsies to gullible home owners. The squirrels start to jump onto the roof, but then they either see their reflection in the metal, or the glint of sunlight startles them so they go somewhere else. They sell these to people who do not want their driveways resurfaced with used motor oil.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks