Tempering Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

countryhouse

Reaction score
I just installed a Jacuzzi whirlpool tub. To help fill it, I would like to install a tempering valve at the hot water heater and raise the temperature of the WH.

Right now the water is set around 130 degrees. By using the tempering valve, I can use the existing (40 gal) WH that is only 4 yrs old. Whomever installed the WH (we just bought the house a few years ago) necked down from 3/4" to 1/2" copper right at the WH inlet and outlet. All the lines in the house are 1/2" only.

My question: If I buy the Watts 70A tempering valve, which has 1/2" connections, will this noticeably impede the flow? Or should I buy the 3/4" connection model and plumb it in. I'm not sure how much flow restriction the 1/2" model will have. There has to be enough flow to fill the tub in a reasonable amount of time. Right now, without a tempering valve, it fills fairly quickly.

Thanks
Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If all the supply pipes are 1/2", it probably won't make any difference going bigger...see what the pros say.

apollo-tempering-terrylove-01.jpg

Found under many bathroom sinks in the cabinet for tempering hot water to the tub.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what you are hoping to achieve with the tempering valve. Some of the statements you made seem to negate what one would want to achieve when filling this type of tub.

tempering-valve-tub-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks