Shower Drain - how to open it. Help, been going crazy over this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

fredylee

Reaction score
Hi All,

My shower drain is leaking from 2nd floor to the sub floor. I have opened up the ceiling from my 1st floor and found out that I need to open the current shower drain lock and re-putty the shower drain.

I have been going crazy trying to open the hexagonal lock of this shower drain as shown in the picture below (picture is taken from the sub floor beneath the shower drain). I have tried all kinds of tools but had little success due to limited space.

I have an opening of about 7"x10" on the first floor ceiling but limited space to do anything. This is because the opening is right under the kitchen cabinet and the way the pipe going downward toward the ceiling and the sideway.

My question is, is there any special tools to open this lock? One of my plumber friend said that I need to use screw driver, point toward one of the corner, and pound away with a hammer. However, due to limited space, I cannot find enough momentum from my hammer to get this lock moving.

Help Help.
photo.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nut

More than likely, silicone or putty used to seal the drain was allowed to get into the threads which "welded" the two pieces together. You may be better off cutting the nut and the pipe and installing a new drain. Make sure you do not get the sealer into the threads because it can prevent the nut from tightening properly and if that happens it will leak again some day.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
You must not use putty on the new drain because it eats fiberglas. Use 100% silicone.

fredylee

Reaction score
Guys,

Thank you for all the advice. I buy a swaging tool and keep pounding the hole on an angle for about 3 days. Finally it let go.
0058412c-f051-4eda-ace6-10eb05e906df_300.jpg

cleansed everything up, and resealed things up.

I think all is good. Still need to run some water test to make sure things are ok.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks