Leak in Solar Flat Panels

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve777

Reaction score
I have a 4 panel SHW system which has been in operation for about 6 months now. The panels are flowing anti-freeze, and were used. The panel loop was pressure tested at 40# (about twice the operating pressure) for 2 days prior to filling with no signs on leaks, six months ago.

Recently on a cloudy day, I noticed condensation on the inside of the glass on two of the panels. There has not been any obvious pressure drop in the panel loop (at least so far), but I am concerned that there may be a pinhole type leak in these panels (or perhaps rain/snow melt getting inside the panels).

Perhaps the "right" thing to do would be to take the glass off and check for leaks, and see if the liquid inside is rain water leaking in, or anti-freeze. however I was hoping that there might be an easier way to see if this is needed. I suppose I could just wait a while to see if any obvious pressure drop happens in the panel loop.

Any other simple ways to figure out if that moisture in the panels is just rain water getting in, or anti-freeze leaking out?

TIA

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Probably Condensation.....

it is probably just normal condensation...

Trust me, you would know if it were glycol leaking out
god , would you know....

if the pressure guage on the panels down at the tank has stayed the same, its probably best to leave well enough alone...

Only 6 months old,
I assume that the place you bought the panels from has already gone belly up??? What gives there??

before you attempt to take those panes off the panels,
why not take some clear silicone and try to seal up any spots that look to be compromiseing the system??

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Novan oil

I have seen a water feature/waterfall that was the loveliest shade of green/blue. That makes for an expensive fix as there is nothing cheap about glycol.

Used to install the NOVAN systems and they used a special red hydrolic oil in their panels that was supposed to be good forever......

when it leaked on the roof, it was a god awful mess
that never cleaned up good enough for the cusotmer

looked like transmission fluid all over the place....

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Imagine that coming through the walls... :eek:

the-shining-blood-in-the-hallway1.jpg

yeah, I know, always the melodramatic one... :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks