Shallow Well

Users who are viewing this thread

ciws14

Reaction score
We have a very high water table here in the Midwest. It averages around 40" year round. Would this be a good candidate to dig a trench with a backhoe and drop in seepage tile or some kind of drain tile? I am looking for irrigation and to keep my pond topped off. Thanks!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Just because ground is wet doesn't mean it will produce an appreciable amount of water. Water veins are made in clean sand and gravel or rock, which the backhoe wouldn't penetrate anyway.

ciws14

Reaction score
Wet Ground?

When I say 40", that is the typical depth of our water table. I can dig down to about 5' and I hit a very light gray sand. at this point water begins to fill the trench. Is this not enough to extract by some mechanical means?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it's clean grey sand with no clay or just plain dirt mixed it, you may be digging into surface water vein. If you put a well point into that stuff deep enough, you may have a well. Just digging a hole isn't going to work because it will cave in faster than you can dig. Since you don't want sand in your water, a well point is the answer.

ciws14

Reaction score
Well point

What kind of GPM can I expect out of a drive point?

Speedbump

Reaction score
From 0 to about 18 gpm. That's been my finding. If you have very coarse gravel, like pea gravel or bigger, you could expect (with the right screen) up to 25 gpm.

ciws14

Reaction score
Can you suggest a place to get these good points & screens? Thanks!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have a few Stainless steel slotted screens I'll sell. They are the best you can get for driving into the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks