(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No tax credit for tank HWH?

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I have replaced Rheem, AO Smith, and Bradford Whites under warranty due to the fine mesh screen clogged beyond my ability to clean them out enough. The whole design no matter who makes it is prone to clogging. The homes I run into this the most are where they have a small utility room with the furnace, washer and dryer and the water heater all in the same room. So the dryer lint is the culprit. They should design a filter that needs to be changed every 3 months just like on a forced air heater.

Plumber in Previous Life sixlashes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The comment was....they seemed to meet the spec, so does anyone know why they would not be eligible for the tax credits??
    I don't remember exactly where I found it while researching this very issue, but the reason none of the units you mentioned are not "energy star" and eligible for the credit is they must be 70,000 Btus or below.

If you want the reference, I can look in my browser history to find it. It was on one of the gov'ment sites.

The whole thing stinks, because independent testing I read documents the condensing tank units are more efficient than the non-condensing tankless units. Of course the tankless units exceed the 70k Btu limit. I smell politics over substance. But then, I am a cynic.

If you go to the above linked manufactures websites and click on the link they have about tax credits you will see them list their Tankless units and the tanked units I linked. Better yet here is the link for you.

AO Smith Tax Credit page. http://www.hotwater.com/taxcredit.html

Bradford White Tax Credit page http://www.bradfordwhite.com/taxcred..._taxcredit.asp

So as you can see from the above links the waters heaters I linked do qualify for the tax credit.

Plumber in Previous Life sixlashes's Avatar

Ron, that page at AO Smith is new. I didn't see it last week when I was looking this stuff up. I rechecked the energystar.gov site again and they still do not list the AO Smith or Bradford models as qualifying for the tax credit. I am not discrediting what you have pointed out, but the lack of info from the government on their own program. I can see models being missing from the list, but the criteria they give contradicts what the manufacturers are putting out. As usual, clear as mud.

Here is what I was going by:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c4

and linked to:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?..._water_heaters
    Last edited by sixlashes; 06-10-2009 at 07:41 PM.

I installed one of the AO smith units already and the person that had me do it already claimed their tax credit. Government is just slow to update their site.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking government promises

I would be very leerey of any pie in the sky
    promises that government is saying that they are going to give you..

at my supply house they tried to talk me into that new
    90% boiler type Evion waterheater with the up to $1500
    tax credit on next years bill...

perhaps its good, and maby its not...

but when their is so much confiicting info, that can be
    mis-understood and could change tomorrow...

I would consult my tax advisor....