What is this fitting called? Need help finding a new one!

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
I am trying to locate a shower drain fitting but having no luck. Been to all the local stores and have done an exhaustive search online with no results. It is the weekend so I can't call a plumbing supply house for help, thought I would try here.

I have a shower setup that isn't the normal way so I have to improvise. For whatever reason when they built this house 40 years ago they put the shower drain about 2 1/2 feet from the commode. I removed a cheap square 32" shower stall that sat on a raised tray and the drain was plumbed over to the cast iron pipe in the concrete. This is in a basement. I am putting in a corner shower stall but the drain isn't anywhere near the shower base drain opening. I am using a masonry blade in my circular saw and air chisel with my compressor to make a trench in the concrete to lower the plumbing down enough to fit under the new shower base.

I am trying to replace this fitting because I tore it up removing the old shower stall. The fitting has a 2" threaded opening that attached to the shower drain and a horizontally located 1 1/2" non threaded opening for pvc pipe. On the bottom of the fitting it says, "PVC-DWV NO.82.305 WHITE US Patent NO. 3895398. I searched on google with these numbers with no luck as well.

If anyone has any idea what this thing is called or where I could get one please let me know. Pictures provided below...

Jeff

Attachments

• 100_1868.jpg
    100_1868.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 692
  • 100_1869.jpg
    100_1869.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 100_1870.jpg
    100_1870.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 673

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? The reason I ask is because that would never meet code and the PVC looks like irrigation pipe. There needs to be a 2" PVC line sloped 1/4" per foot to the main line with a 2" p-trap and riser directly underneath the drain of the shower. Since you're already planning on trenching the concrete slab, there is no need to find that fitting again and you can bring this new shower's drain line up to code now.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
They used a tub shoe:

136067_300.jpg

It is typically used as part of the waste and overflow for a bath tub:

DSC00594.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
in response to Inaquagmire...

I live in PA so being up to code isn't a big deal here. No required plumbing lic. or electricians lic either, for that matter, the only problem I would run into would be a home inspector getting inquisitive sometime in the future, I am not that concerned really.

I was hoping to go with a similiar setup like I took out so I am not chiseling and cutting all kinds of concrete out of the floor. With my luck around here I would go all the way through the concrete floor and hit the water tables, flooding the basement. I want to make this as painless as possible. Thats why I am looking for this same type fitting.

Jeff

Where are you located? The reason I ask is because that would never meet code and the PVC looks like irrigation pipe. There needs to be a 2" PVC line sloped 1/4" per foot to the main line with a 2" p-trap and riser directly underneath the drain of the shower. Since you're already planning on trenching the concrete slab, there is no need to find that fitting again and you can bring this new shower's drain line up to code now.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your setup appears to not have any trap, which is not only against code, is a very bad idea for both health and your nose. Neither does it have a vent. The fact that it drained is not the issue. Since it goes a ways, then drops down, it appears you have enough depth to do this right.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
The P trap is farther away, downstream, and yes this is legal and it has been discussed in recent threads here. We cold ask the original poster whether there was much or any gunk in the pipe.

The fitting in question performs that same function as a "tight elbow" under an ADA lav. or as already mentioned, a tub shoe. Search on tight elbow. Geniescience

This is not a lav, it's a shower.
Shower should have 2" p-traps, not that tiny little section of pipe and pressure 90's that he's showing. The whole thing is a mess,
Terry Love

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just take a sledgehammer to it.
The concrete that is.

You can't micky mouse that stuff in like that.
Bust the concrete, and put in a new p-trap, this time in the right location.
You could have moved it by now qucker then what it takes to post these pictures.

Attachments

• mickey_mouse.jpg
    mickey_mouse.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 645

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I just did a shower drain repipe for someone that "Didn't care about the code" when they added a shower. cause when they went to sell the house the inspector caught it was not up to code and not properly vented. It cost the person just a little over $1400 for just the plumbing repairs, that is not including replacing the tile, drywall and other things that had to get torn out to make things right.

While you have it apart, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! Somewhere on this forum I quoted an old 1917 code book that hit the nail on the head about taking short cuts and such is not a way to save money even if it seems like you are. Cause in the long run you WILL have problems.

If you come to the internet for advice from the pro's and then tell them they are full of themselves and you do not need to do things right just makes the pro's not want to help you. Us Pro's have been apprenticed for years, and some of us even had to take 5 years of schooling to get our license. Our knowledge is valuable and we are here freely giving our knowledge of plumbing to people that need or want help.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The P trap is farther away, downstream, and yes this is legal and it has been discussed in recent threads here. We cold ask the original poster whether there was much or any gunk in the pipe.

The fitting in question performs that same function as a "tight elbow" under an ADA lav. or as already mentioned, a tub shoe. Search on tight elbow.

But the problem is its just dumping into a floor drain = not right or code.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
OK, what about the fitting?

I never expected to see so much "political grandstanding" as I have on these posts. I still haven't received an answer to my original question, what is this fitting? No name for it, a website where I can purchase one, etc...

I do appreciate some of the posts that actually helped but some of you guys sound like you may take advantage of some of your customers who don't really have a clue and try to scare them into "bringing everything up to code" when in fact you could make a simple fix and charge the customer an honest fee. I can think of one example, an old lady I know had a commode that wasn't sealed properly, it was leaking onto the floor when she flushed. She had a plumber come over with the snake and camera, he proposed to do a $1500 job running the camera all the way up the pipes to where she connected to the city sewer main. I know thats pretty drastic but there are people that get away with those types of shenanigans.

You must realize some of us homeowners are capable of making sound decisions and making something work, even if it doesn't meet code. And it will work safely, effectively and maintain safe health. Fortunately, I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Mass or Conn or NY, where some of you are that doesn't have a heavy handed govt. watching how many gallons of water I flush down the drain.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You must realize some of us homeowners are capable of making sound decisions and making something work, even if it doesn't meet code. And it will work safely, effectively and maintain safe health. Fortunately, I don't live in the Peoples Republic of Mass or Conn or NY, where some of you are that doesn't have a heavy handed govt. watching how many gallons of water I flush down the drain.

I don't see your trap so I couldn't say whether it was up to code or not but traps have been code standard mainly for health reasons for a long time.

Talk about political grandstanding. :rolleyes: Regardless of code, there is a right way or a wrong way to do something. Doing it right doesn't mean fearing an inspector looking over your shoulder.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
You have definitely made a sound decision by continuing to post to this thread. We will, hopefully, persuade you to get your shower done right and not just good enuff.
Done right is getting rid of the dirty arm that was originally there and have a p-trap where the shower drains down into. You already have the concrete busted up so you are well on your way.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
thanks for the help

naw, I located a plumbing supply house that has the same fitting and I'm going to do it my way. build a base and have it slope over and run into the same pipe thats there now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
naw, I located a plumbing supply house that has the same fitting and I'm going to do it my way. build a base and have it slope over and run into the same pipe thats there now.

Talk about lazy.
I could have changed out your p-trap and relocated in one hour.
And it would work better, it would be code and suprise surprise, when your wife's long hair starts clogging the drain, you will be able to run a snake down it to clear it.
All you're doing is ensuring problems later for yourself, and you will spend more time doing it wrong, and with more parts, then a plumber, or all the rest of the DIY here could have done it in.
It's so simple to do this right, that it just amazes me that you "think" you are saving money somehow.
This is a joke,
Right, you don't really intend to do this.
You are spending way too much time trying to find a harder way to do this.

Just for fun, try pushing a snake through those fittings. If the snake won't go through now, it isn't going to be any better later.

Last edited:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
talk about making a simple task into a major project. I don't have the tools you probably have with your plumbing business, so I improvise and make it work. The old shower worked fine and the new shower will work fine too.

So what liberal enclave of a state that has a plumbing inspector crawling up your butt do you work in live in?

attachment.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well it's not some third world country like the place you live.

You don't own a sledgehammer?
What kind of redneck are you?

If you don't know how to use simple tools, they teach that stuff in kindergarten right, they give you a toy hammer and a hammer bench to play with?

Attachments

• hammer bench.jpg
    hammer bench.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Terry,
Kids today are way more advanced...
They get the toy hammer in preschool... :D

JFLS45...
Enough talk!
We don't care how well your house is plumbed...
Quit Procrastinating and Just Do It!
Before your wife gets pissed and starts looking for a plumber to date...:eek:

nike.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks